24 - inadequate

The waiter came back with our drinks. To Noel's fascination, horror, and delight, the waiter started to make small talk with him.

"So, what is your name?" He asked him.

A look of fear flashed across his face and he looked to me for support. He really was helpless.

"Noel. My name's Noel. What's yours?"

He seemed very satisfied at himself for that response.

"I'm Marcel. Are you from around here?"

Noel was a lot less tense now. "No, actually. I'm Canadian. I'm here for a school thing."

Marcel's face fell for a moment. "Really far, yes?"

Noel nodded. "Very far."

"I'm actually from France, if you couldn't tell. I'm in America in an exchange student program. Working here helps with my language skills."

"France, huh? I've always wanted to go there so badly. You'll have to tell me about it, but I'm afraid we won't see each other again. Tragic. Unless..." Noel trailed off.

Marcel was listening intently. "Unless what? You cannot leave me waiting!"

"Well, I could get your phone number. Just an idea."

"Oh! That would be wonderful! Just write it on the napkin and I will come back and get it!"

Marcel left to get our drinks.

I high-fived Noel. "Nice!"

"I didn't know you had it in you! That was impressive!" Mischa exclaimed.

"I didn't, either. I don't know how I did that."

I shrugged. "Well, welcome to the boyfriend with a hot accent club!"

"He's not my boyfriend yet," Noel scoffed.

"You think my accent is hot?" Mischa grinned at me.

"Yes. You're not embarrassing me. We're literally dating."

"You want to know what I think is embarrassing? Forgetting to lock doors," Noel's lips curled into a smirk.

I widened my eyes. "I hate you. Stop it."

"No."

Laura was a bit confused, to say the least. "What's this all about?"

"Ocean is scarred. You know what else is embarrassing? That thing on your neck you're trying to cover up. By the way, it's not really working for you."

"Shut up, Noel!"

Laura sighed, exasperated. "I was trying to avoid asking. I didn't want to have an awkward conversation at dinner."

I had to let go of the last hope I was clinging to that Noel would be too distracted by Marcel to bring it up.

"Well, good," Mischa folded his hands neatly on the table. "Conversation avoided. No need to discuss."

"No. It should be discussed as I am your legal guardian."

"What is there to discuss?" He glared at Laura.

"Don't mention it to Father Marcus. Refrain from such activities until we are back in the privacy of our own homes in Uranium. Don't be a tattletale, Noel."

"Ha! She's right! Don't be a snitch!" I grinned.

"Come on! You're supposed to be on my side here! I know Ocean would be!"