7 - the first thanksgiving (or something like that)

On the Monday of Thanksgiving, I helped my mom cook our dinner. I was busy peeling potatoes when the doorbell rang. My mom was currently putting a pie in the oven.

"Could you go get the door for Noel?" she called.

"Of course!"

I set down my potato and peeler and ran to the door to open it. It was not Noel. It was Mischa.

"You're here early," I noted as I welcomed him inside.

He shrugged. "I thought it would be good to help you out. I read about your holiday and about the big meal. It's only fair. Also your cat is very cute and I would like to pet her."

I laughed. "Come on in. I'm sure we have an extra apron somewhere."

We both walked into the kitchen.

"Mischa! It's great to see you again!" My mother beamed at him.

"Of course! Is there anything I can help you with?"

She thought about it for a moment. "Y/n might need some help peeling the potatoes."

"Please. My fingers are killing me."

I handed him a knife and a potato. He took a moment to look at them, and then very, very carefully began to try to peel it. Note how I said 'try'.

"Do you want me to show you how to do it?" I asked gently.

He looked down at me. "That would be nice, yes."

I came up beside him and took the items from his hands.

"First, you're going to want to always peel away from you, not towards you. That's dangerous, and I don't want you to get hurt."

"Getting hurt is bad," Mischa shook his head in agreement.

"Next, you press down on the side closest to you and scrape it across the surface, just like this."

I demonstrated that on the potato. "Would you like me to help you?"

"Yes, please."

"I'll put my hands on yours so you can feel what it's supposed to feel like."

Mischa obliged. I peeled another strip of potato skin away, and then another. I let go.

"You've got it!"

"I do!"

...

Mischa had helped us set up the table for dinner. Noel was already planning on getting here before his family to help, but that was already taken care of by Mischa.

The two of us were sitting on the couch. Roxi was sitting on his lap, and I was teaching him how to play Uno.

"So I can play any card that is green?" he asked.

"Or any card that has a two on it. Or one that changes the color."

"Okay."

He placed down a plus four.

"Goddammit, Mischa! I was so close!"

He just leaned back and smirked. "It's now red, by the way. I'll take my turn by..."

He placed a red skip on the top. "Uno. Hey, look. It's my turn again."

Mischa pulled out a red four and smiled contentedly.

"I think I win."

I just glared at him. "Unbelievable."

"Aw. It wouldn't be so unbelievable if you just accept that you are bad at the game."

"Mischa, what?"

He smiled smugly. "You heard me. You could just accept that you are bad at the game."

I huffed and crossed my arms. "That will not happen."

"Don't worry. I won't let you forget about it. Besides, it's very pretty when you are mad at me."

Both of us looked at each other, eyes wide.

"I'm sorry, I-" he apologized.

"No, no, it's fine. You just-"

"I didn't mean to say that. Sometimes my English is just-"

Thank God the doorbell rang at that moment, or else I probably would've forgotten how to function.

"I think I'll go get that," I stood up, almost shakily, and walked over to get the door for Noel. He stepped inside, cold and a bit miffed.

"What took you so long? I was freezing my ass off out there!"

He looked behind me at the couch where Mischa sat.

"That's what you were busy making out with your boyfriend. Figures."

"That is exactly what Ocean said! He is not my boyfriend!"

Noel shuddered. "Ocean said that too?"

"Yes. If you don't want to be like her, I'd suggest you take it back."

"Fine. I take it back."

I smiled coldly. "Thank you. By the way, you won't need to help us. Mischa came early and did that."

"I don't like this," He complained. "He's stealing my best friend."

"He only got here earlier than you. That's why we don't need help. I'm not replacing you."

"I would've come over earlier, but Doug."

I nodded sympathetically. "Doug."

"That son of a bitch made me work on Thanksgiving. Who does that? Who even goes to Taco Bell on Thanksgiving? I know for certain that there is a special spot in hell reserved for Doug."

"We're playing Uno right now," I motioned to the coffee table where Mischa and I were playing.

"She is losing very badly!" Mischa called from the couch.

I looked back. "Did he need to know that?"

"Yes. He did."

...

The rest of Noel's family came later. We sat them down at the table. Mischa and Noel helped bring the dishes over to the table. Once everyone was seated, Mrs. Gruber spoke.

"This is a marvelous Thanksgiving! I am so grateful to know such an amazing family who we can share this with, and so generous to share it with us!"

"No, thank you, Cheryl. You've been here as we raised our children together. They're practically siblings."

Mischa raised his hand halfway. "If you don't mind, Ms. L/n, could I say something?"

"Of course, dear. Go right ahead," She smiled warmly.

He cleared his throat. "Just a week ago, I started school at Saint Cassian. I was like an outsider. I didn't know anyone. At least until Y/n showed me some kindness. I wasn't exactly the... nicest to her, but she showed nothing but patience back. Y/n invited me here for this Thanksgiving. I never would've thought that someone would show me so much kindness and patience, and I just want to let you guys know that I really appreciate it. Thank you."

Mother clasped her hands together. "Mischa, that was beautiful!"

He nodded humbly. "It's only what I feel."

I stared at him in ardent admiration, wondering where on earth he pulled that wonderful speech from.

a/n: thank you so much for all the support like hello??? #1 in mischa bachinski???  what??? anyways i started writing this stupid shit like a week ago on google docs and now it's like 17 pages now. just call me hamilton because i write like i'm running out of time. thank you guys. you're the best. i'm doing a halloween chapter in the next few chapters so prepare yourselves. there's also going to be a christmas one. love you guys.