Chapter 34: [The Crossroads of Destiny]

"So, what kind of trouble is Y/n in?" Sokka asked as the trio flew on Appa. "Other than, you know, being all chained up?"

"I don't know," Aang replied miserably. "In my vision, I just knew he needed help."

Sokka rolled his eyes. "You know, it would be nice if your Avatar powers could be just a little more specific from time to time."

"It doesn't matter what kind of trouble Y/n is in," Katara said, a serious expression on her face as she gripped Appa's fur tighter. "All that matters is that we get him out of it."

"Hey, I get that you're worried, but there's no need to be. Knowing Y/n, he's probably gotten himself out of whatever mess he was in and is giving his opponents hell as we speak," Sokka said, but that didn't seem to relax her in the slightest. 

"Hey, what is that?" Aang asked, noticing a mound of earth passing nearby, heading to the wall. They flew down towards the mound, seeing that it was Toph earth surfing. 

Sokka grinned. "Need a ride?"

Toph startled at the sound of Sokka's voice and fell backwards off the mound. The boys cringed in sympathy. 

"Oooh..."

. . .

Azula stood before the Dai Li, pacing back and forth. 

"The Earth King and the Council of Five do not trust the Dai Li. They imprisoned your leader, Long Feng. And now, he is dead. Soon they will turn on all of you and eliminate you, too. Seizing power today is a matter of life and death." As she talked, an agent with a moustache started looking nervous and slightly lowered his head. "This coup must be swift and decisive. The Earth King and each of the five generals must be taken out simultaneously. With Long Feng gone, you are now in my command." Azula walked over to her left, to another agent with a tiny, vertical scar on his right cheek. When she neared him, she stared sideways at the agent whilst still addressing all the agents. "If I sense any disloyalty, any hesitation, any weakness at all, I will snuff it out. That is all."

The Dai Li left, and Azula walked up to Ty Lee, who was pouring tea. 

"Nice speech, Azula," she complimented. "It was pretty and poetic, but also scary in a good way."

Mai looked amused. "Yeah. I thought you were going to make that one guy pee his pants."

"There are still a few loose ends," Azula said. "The Avatar, and my brother and uncle."

. . .

"So how did it go with the guru?" Toph asked as they approached the palace on Appa. "Did you master the Avatar State?"

"Uh..." Aang trailed off, looking down as he thought about what Guru Pathik said before he left. He snapped out of it when Katara gently placed her hand on his arm. 

"Aang, are you okay?" she inquired, looking worried. 

"I'm great! It went great with the guru. I completely mastered the Avatar State." He laughed nervously and looked down. "Yeah."

He was silent the entire trip back to the palace, and the others looked at each other in concern. They soon arrived in the throne room and confronted the King, who dismissed their worries. 

"Y/n is fine," he said casually. "You have nothing to worry about."

"But in my vision, I felt so sure that he was in trouble," Aang protested. 

"Well, he met with the Council of Generals to plan the invasion, and since then, he has been off with your friends, the Kyoshi Warriors."

"See, Aang? He's with Suki. They're probably back at our apartment right now talking about..." Sokka trailed off, unsure. "Actually, I don't think they have anything in common. Other than being badass. But that's probably not the best conversation starter..."