Chapter 29: [City of Walls and Secrets]

Team Avatar sat aboard a monorail to the inner wall of Ba Sing Se. Katara looked out the window, noticing the wall of the Earth Kingdom capital was drawing closer. 

"Look, the Inner Wall!" she exclaimed excitedly. "I can't believe we finally made it to Ba Sing Se in one piece."

"Hey, don't jinx it!" Sokka said, sceptical was always. "We can still be attacked by some giant exploding Fire Nation spoon. Or find out the city's been submerged in an ocean full of killer shrimp!"

"You been hitting the cactus juice again?" Toph asked somewhat jokingly. 

"I'm just sayin', weird stuff happens to us."

You nodded in agreement. "It would be funny if it wasn't terrifying."

Suddenly a man, sucking a corn plant in his mouth, took a seat between Toph and Sokka, startling them. You, Katara and Aang continued to look out the window, the latter closing his eyes sadly. 

Katara took notice of his sadness and sympathetically laid a gentle hand on his shoulder. "Don't worry Aang, we'll find Appa."

The boy looked doubtful. "It's such a big city."

"He's a giant bison! Where could someone possibly hide him?" Sokka countered somewhat optimistically. 

The monorail finally entered the inner wall, revealing the giant city within. It stretched as far as the eye could see, countless winding roads and buildings. 

Sokka's eyes widened. "Oh."

The monorail stopped at the station and you all disembarked. 

Toph sighed. "Back in the city. Great."

Sokka looked around in awe. "What's the problem? It's amazing!"

"It's just a bunch of walls and rules," she said dismissively. "You wait, you'll get sick of it in a couple of days."

You scoffed, your lips twisting into a small smile. "Like you're gonna follow those rules anyway."

"Well obviously, but it's still an inconvenience!" she insisted. 

"I'm coming for ya, buddy," Aang said quietly. He gripped his bison whistle in his hand and blew into it. "He's here; I can feel it."

The monorail departed behind you, revealing a woman with long dark hair. She approached you with an unnatural smile on her face. You eyed her cautiously. 

"Hello, my name is Joo Dee!" she greeted cheerfully. "I have been given the great honour of showing the Avatar around Ba Sing Se. And you must be Sokka, Katara, Y/n and Toph! Welcome to our wonderful city. Shall we get started?"

"Yes," Sokka replied. "We have information about the Fire Nation army that we need to deliver to the Earth King, immediately."

"Great! Let's begin our tour. And then I'll show you to your new home here. I think you'll like it!"

"Ugh!" Sokka walked over to Joo Dee, slightly annoyed. "Maybe you missed what I said. We need to talk to the king about the War, it's important."

Somehow, her smile managed to feel even more unnerving than before. "You're in Ba Sing Se now. Everyone is safe here."

"A giant drill literally smashed through one of your 'impenetrable' walls yesterday," you stated bluntly. 

"You don't need to worry about that anymore," Joo Dee assured you, her smile practically splitting her face in half. "You are in the inner walls now. Everyone is safe here."

You and your friends all exchanged confused looks, but followed her onto a carriage pulled by an ostrich horse. It led you through streets lined with many shops and refugees.