Chapter 12: [The Deserter]

Team Avatar were walking through a forest with Momo bounding ahead. He landed on a roadside kiosk and you all stopped to read it. 

"This should give us a good idea of what's around here," Katara said, walking over to read the posters on the notice board. 

"See if you can find a menu, I'm starving!" Sokka exclaimed, rubbing his stomach. 

You rolled your eyes. "You always say you're starving, Sokka."

"Okay, and every time it's true!"

"I bet we'll find something to eat here, the Fire Day's Festival." Aang pointed at a poster in the middle. "Fire Nation cultural exhibits, jugglers, benders, magicians... This would be a great place for me to study some real firebenders."

"We have a real firebender," Sokka said, gesturing to you. "And this one doesn't want to kill us."

"I don't want to kill Aang and Katara, at least. I'm still debating what to do with you, Sokka," you said dryly. Sokka turned to you in offence and you grinned. "I'm kidding."

"You better be," he grumbled, crossing his arms as he sulked. 

"Y/n is a good firebender," Aang began, "But he doesn't have any proper training. And different people have different styles of bending. It'll be good to see different techniques."

"Yeah, you might want to rethink that," Katara said, looking at another poster with a frown. "Look at this."

"Hey, a poster of me!" Aang exclaimed excitedly. 

Sokka's eyes widened. "A wanted poster! This is bad."

Aang took the poster off the kiosk and started reading it. Then he noticed another poster just beneath it and grabbed it. "Hey Y/n, they have one of you too!"

"What?" you demanded, swiping the paper from him. It was a picture of you, or rather you wearing the White Rogue mask. You frowned deeply. "What does it say?"

"Can't you read it yourself?" Sokka asked. 

"No. I..."  You clenched your jaw, brows furrowing. "They didn't exactly have schools on the plantations."

"Crap, Y/n. I'm so sorry, I completely forgot-"

"It's fine," you cut in, noticing the guilt on his face. "Just... tell me what it says."

Sokka took the poster from your hands and scanned it. His eyes widened. "No way... it looks like there's a 200 gold piece bounty on your head!"

"Only 200? Could've sworn it was more than that..."

"Yeah, I think you're worth at least 201 gold pieces, Y/n," Aang said cheerfully. 

"Thanks, Aang," you said dryly. 

"Why does the Fire Nation want you so badly?" Katara asked. 

"I don't know... stealing their supplies, raiding their ships, killing their soldiers and noblemen... it's a mystery, really," you replied. 

"Fair point."

"Well, that settles it then," Sokka said. "It's clearly not safe for us to stick around here. We better keep moving."

"Come on, Sokka," Aang protested. "I have to learn firebending at some point and this could be my only chance to watch a master's up close."

Katara considered his words. "I guess we could check it out."

"What?" Sokka demanded. "You wanna walk into a Fire Nation town where they're all fired-up with their... you know, fire?"

"Don't worry, Sokka, I'll keep you safe," you said somewhat sarcastically.