Chapter 33: [The Guru]

Start from the beginning

"It's terrible when you can't trust the people who are closest to you," Azula said. 

"But there is good news. As we speak, the Council of Five is meeting to plan an invasion of the Fire Nation this summer, on the day of a solar eclipse."

For a second, the princess' eyes slightly widened in shock and worry, but she was quick to hide it again. 

"Really? Now that sounds like a fascinating and brilliant plan."

The three girls exchanged concerned glances. 

You sat around a tactics table at the Council of Five meeting, with Momo perched on your shoulder, discussing the invasion plan. 

"General Fong's base will serve as the launching point for the attack," General How explained. "In exactly two months, the army and navy will invade the Fire Nation on the Day of the Black Sun."

You startled slightly, causing Momo to fall from your shoulder and knock over some of the pieces on the board. "General Fong?!"

General How raised an eyebrow at your outburst and you sheepishly picked Momo up, standing the fallen pieces back up. 

"Yes. You know him?"

"Yeah, we've met," you replied bitterly. You thought back to when he tried to force Aang into the Avatar State and sank Katara into the ground. "You're really sending the Kingdom's finest on this mission, huh?"

"Is there going to be a problem?" How asked, catching on to your sarcasm. 

"Not unless he starts one."

"Then it's settled." General How sent the scroll across the table to you. "All we need is the Earth King's seal in order to execute the plan."

You barely managed to suppress an eye roll as you picked up the parchment. You were a warrior, not a mailman. 

"Right. I'll get these scrolls to him immediately," you said, rising to your feet and walking out the door. You sighed in frustration once you were out. You were not going to survive a whole week in this palace without your friends... 

. . .

Azula, Mai and Ty Lee were stationed in a small building in the Upper Ring. Mai and Ty Lee were removing their make-up. A smiling Ty Lee looked in a mirror, wiping the last traces of her Kyoshi makeup from her face. Mai was seated next to Ty Lee, still working on her own face. 

"We have been presented with an extraordinary opportunity, girls," Azula said. 

"Mai finally gets to wear make-up that's not totally depressing?" Ty Lee suggested. 

"Ha, ha," Mai said sarcastically, with large, dark splotches of black makeup dripping down her eyes. 

"I'm talking about conquering the whole Earth Kingdom," Azula said as casually as one would say they're going to get tea. The two girls looked at her in shock. "For one hundred years, the Fire Nation has hammered away at Ba Sing Se from the outside. But now we're on the inside, and we can take it by ourselves."

"Gosh, you're so confident," Ty Lee said. "I really admire that about you."

"From the inside, we're in perfect position to organise a coup and overthrow the Earth King. The key is the Dai Li. Whoever controls the Dai Li controls Ba Sing Se."

. . .

"You mean to tell me you challenged a waterbending master to a fight?" Hakoda asked, looking at his daughter in disbelief. She smiled sheepishly.