Chapter One

Jasmine Riggi-Uccello

I walk down the hall, enjoying the natural light coming in from the floor to ceiling windows. Reaching Cherry's room, I knock on her door. I wait a few seconds to get a response, but it never comes. Opening the door, I see her laid out across the bed, her foot sticking out from under the covers. Her hair is a mess and I don't know how many times I have to tell her ways to tame it so it doesn't look like a bird's nest in the morning like it does now.

I read the clock on her side table. Thirty minutes after nine, which is thirty minutes of extra time I gave to give her the chance to get up. But I know better. Walking to her, I rub her back, cooing slowly but loud enough for her to hear. "Come on reginetta (little queen). It's time to wake up." I brush hair out of her face and she tries to push me away, groaning. When I try again and get the same results, I drag my hands down to her waist before I start tickling her.

"No, no no, mamma, stop." She wiggles away from me and tries to fight, but she's still too sleepy to do so.

"Get up and I will."

"Okay, okay, I'm up." I stop tickling her, standing up straight to look at her. She sits up in her bed, moving her messy hair out of her face.

"Gesù Cristo (Jesus Christ), it's so early." She drags out the word, whining. She falls back on the bed, putting a pillow on top of her face.

"Be glad I didn't wake you up at the time I got up." I say.

She removes the pillow, looking at me for a second before closing her eyes. "I don't even want to know what time that was."

"Be downstairs no later than 10:30, young lady." She only groans. Walking towards her door, I look around the mess she calls her room. "And you're going to clean this room up later on today." I only get her turning over as a response.

Walking down the hall, I knock on Mateo's door. I hear him say come in and I smile before entering. "Hey, topino (little mouse)."

"Buongiorno mamma." His hushed voice comes. I smile at his outfit, going to rub his head.

"You dress just like how your father did." I take in his pink button down and khaki pants.

"I blame it on him constantly feeling the need to dress me." I stand in the middle of his room, watching as he walks around and cleans it. I hate to feel like I'm hovering, but Mateo always reassures me he doesn't mind so I try not to think about it.

"It was either that or your dad dressing you in dark toned clothes." Mateo cringes and shakes his head as he struggles a bit to make his bed. "Well I will leave you to it. Make sure you check on your sister to make sure she's ready."

"Of course." Turning around, I walk to the door but discreetly pause. "Oh mamma."

"Yes?" I ask looking over my shoulder.

"Is um...Ana coming?" I try to contain my smile.

"Yes, of course, she is."

"Oh, okay, okay." He smiles, but he hides it by turning around to his desk and I walk out his room.

I walk down the stairs, walking into the kitchen. Rafael is standing in front of the coffee maker and I walk up behind him, giving him a hug. I take in his lavender scent as he turns around with a smile on his face. He leans down to kiss me and I welcome it. "Where's Alessandro?" I ask. Right on que, I hear Alessandro's voice from the living room. He paces around as he talks on the phone. I take in his stressed face and how he has rolled his eyes three times in the last thirty seconds.

"He's on the phone with our mother." Rafael goes and gets coffee cups from the cabinets.

"What could she possibly be stressing him about now?" Turning around, I jump up on the counter facing him.