Prologue

Jasmine Riggi-Uccello

I've learned a lot of things in my years of living. I've also experienced a lot more. Probably a lot more than anyone would ever expect. Personally, I'll say I have enough on my sleeve to last me a lifetime–even if I'm almost halfway there.

Despite all of that, I don't think any of it could mentally or even physically prepare me for an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. There is a great amount of pain in losing someone. Especially one so close to you. Even if it's not quite alive as you. I would think the death of my mother would give me some idea of that type of pain–but no. I don't think there's anything that can be compared to that. I can't even think of something off the top of my head that comes close.

What makes matters worse is being put in involuntary solitude. Cast away into isolation. Clawing at the door. Banging at their chest. Wondering. Why did they leave? How can they leave? When you need them most and they aren't there. At least not in the way that you need them to be.

There was a time I could've been deemed an outsider at some point in my life. Though, in this situation, some would call this outsider the devil. Written by a lady herself. Seduction at its finest. Ready to take what they want without question and without any thought of the consequences. The worst part of it all...I just might let it happen.