Chapter Two

Jasmine Riggi-Uccello

I hold my stomach, letting the contents of my stomach spill into the toilet for the third time this week. Second time today. Hailey seats next to me on the floor, rubbing her hand on my back to try and soothe me. Despite her having seen me in this state twice before, I still feel embarrassed as I go to wipe my mouth.

I lean my head against the toilet, letting a dragged out groan leave my mouth. "If this isn't a sign of pregnancy, I don't know what is." Hailey says, giving me a glass of water.

I shake my head, slowly, but surely standing up on my feet. "This really is so unexpected." I say. I lean over the counter, taking a look at my reflection. I look so bloated and my face looks like it just got hit by a train. I cringe at myself.

"I mean isn't that the whole point of it." I glare at Hailey through the mirror and she throws her hands up in surrender.

"Well since we're throwing out accusations, I would at least like to go to the doctor first." Like it's on cue, the timer goes off and Hailey runs to grab the pregnancy test that's sitting on the counter. "Well..." I hold my head down, waiting for her to give me the news.

"I'm pretty sure it's positive." I sigh, going to grab the test from her. Looking at it with my own two eyes, the two stripes stare back at me. "Still want to go to the doctor?" I cut my eyes to Hailey, giving her a 'duh' look. "Fine, fine, I'll go pick out some clothes for you and let you be in denial for a little while longer."

She quickly walks out of the bathroom and I go to grab my toothbrush.

I never saw myself having more kids. It's not really a topic that was brought up. After Mateo was born, it was like a mutual agreement between the three of us. Not to mention that Mateo is already fourteen years old. If I were to have another child, as soon as that child is old enough to go to pre-K, he and Cherry will be off in college. I don't even know which one of them could be the father. I don't even know how they would feel having to raise another child again. I mean, of course, they would probably be excited, but it sure is a smack in the face.

I spit out the toothpaste, rinsing my mouth before I take a quick shower. Walking into the bedroom, Hailey is sitting in the chair in the corner of the room and I appreciate the clothes she picked out for me. I put on the joggers and t-shirt, deciding to just wear my hair in a ponytail. I put on some tennis shoes and we're soon in the car.

"Are you nervous?" Hailey asks as I pull into parking.

"Strangely, yes. Like it's my first time." Hailey chuckles, shaking her head.

"Nuh uh, nothing can amount to how you were freaking out the first time."

I roll my eyes, getting out of the car. Walking into the hospital, I sign in and fill out a sheet. The wait is almost forty-five minutes before my name is called. Walking into a room, all the hospital smells hit my nose and I'm still not used to it even after so long. The nurse does a few check ups and I pee in a cup.

"You know, I hope it's a girl." Hailey breaks the deafening silence that is a doctor's room. "You could give her a hyphen name. Make her feel special...because who has hyphen names nowadays."

"I feel like only Rafael will be down with that and Alessandro is not even going to consider it."

"That's because Rafael is a real one and knows what's up."

The door opens once more and we both perk up. Our family doctor walks in and he gives us a smile. "Good afternoon, nice to see you two, again." He sits down in the wheely stool, clasping his hands together. "I will say I was shocked to hear that it was a check up for you, considering you were here two weeks ago." He flips through the clipboard, like he doesn't already know the answer to my unasked question. "Then I saw what you were in for." He looks up at me, sharing a look at Hailey. "I don't know what news you were expecting to hear but...you're most definitely pregnant, Jasmine–eight weeks to be exact."