21. Later

(Author's Note: this is a chapter I added to the commercially published version in 2021, now added here on Wattpad for the first time)

A cup of kafi in each hand, Patrick pushed open the door to his bedroom with one bare foot. Harlan was sitting propped up in bed, his console unit balanced on his knees and a frown of disappointment on his face.

Patrick paused for a moment, grappling with a guilty flash of relief. He knew how much Harlan wanted to return to the Patrol, but he couldn't help fearing that if that ever happened, it would mean the end of their fledgling relationship. Harlan would disappear off-world, travelling for weeks, possibly months, at a time. Perhaps they'd keep in touch for a while by wristcom, maybe even snatch a few hours together when Harlan was down on Belus, but eventually the gaps between contacts would get longer and longer until the relationship faded away completely.

No matter how much Patrick told himself not to be a clinging vine, and to be grateful for what time they had, the dread of anticipation fluctuated like acid in his belly.

He hadn't hesitated to offer Harlan a part-time job with his own company as a tour guide, which was all he could afford, but he knew that wasn't really the sort of work Harlan wanted. Harlan had accepted, on the understanding that it was a temporary arrangement until he found a proper job.

Patrick made an effort to pull himself together. "Any luck, yet?" he asked, as cheerfully as he could.

Harlan closed the console unit, his worried face relaxing into a smile at the sight of Patrick. "Not yet, but I've put out a couple of feelers. Something's bound to come up soon."

He held both cups steady while Patrick got back in the other side of the bed, then he drained his kafi in three gulps.

Carefully, so as not to cause Patrick to spill his drink, Harlan leant over and whispered in his ear. "Hurry up and finish that. I've just thought of a new way you can brighten my morning."

Sometime later, fortunately after they were both showered and dressed, Harlan's console unit beeped at him, indicating an urgent message coming through live.

"I better take this," Harlan said, leaving the breakfast table and striding across to the unit.

He flicked it open and froze, evidently riveted by what was on the screen.

Damn, thought Patrick. So soon. He got to his feet and left the room, muttering something about "privacy."

He poured himself a glass of water for something to do and stared blankly out the window. He should be glad for Harlan, he really should. He knew perfectly well that he wasn't the sort of man you could keep around the house, like a pet.

Harlan came into the room, a bounce in his step Patrick hadn't heard for a while. He turned around, plastering a smile on his face.

"You'll never believe who that was!" exclaimed Harlan, his eyes alight with excitement.

"No, who?" Patrick tried to play along.

"Chris Maddon! He wants to hire me for a special assignment. He thinks the contacts I made while working with Kam will give me an edge and he's offering fifty thousand credits as a retainer. Can you believe it?"

"That's wonderful!" beamed Patrick, feeling as if his heart had just started beating again. It was more than wonderful; it was absolutely fracking fantastic. It meant Harlan would stay based on Belus, at least for a few more weeks. Maybe longer, if the job panned out.

"So, what's the job then?"

"His nephew, Owen Maddon. Apparently, he's gone missing."