Chapter 20 - Girl Trouble

@LakeBookReviews This is for you, because you said you wanted TWO more updates... so, I give you... 2 more updates.

There was a major change at the very end of this chapter. :) I like the way this one turned out better than the original.

Jordan:

            I chuckled to myself as the three of us stood against the barrier to watch Ely. She looked a little nervous as she moved to the middle of the arena, and I was mentally cheering her on. According to her, this was her strongest skill, and I really wanted her to succeed with it.

            She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, and when she opened her eyes they were completely focused. She tilted her head slightly, and before she had a chance to aim, the target started moving quickly.

            I held my breath as she threw her knife without aiming. The target dropped and I was stunned. "Did you see that?" I asked the others.

            Shawn nodded, but his eyes never left her. Dominic grinned as he balled up his shirt to stop the trickle of blood falling sliding down his arm, "Fuck yeah, Kitten!" He murmured to himself.

            I went back to watching, and she dropped every single target she hit after that. I had never really thought of shuriken as being deadly, but when all three of her targets dropped I simply stared in astonishment. "Holy shit, that's amazing!"

            As soon as the test was over, she stood up and began collecting her weapons. I couldn't seem to make myself move from the spot I was anchored to.

            That changed when I saw Mr. Hale step out of his booth and pat her back. I frowned. Hell, no. I understood that some of the female students thought he was cute, but I really hoped she wasn't one of them because I could already tell that he was into her.

            "Let's go, Sunshine." I said as I stepped into the arena.

            She looked at me funny, but shot Mr. Hale a smile and walked over to the rest of us. As soon as we stepped out of the building, I grinned at Ely. "Sh-" Shawn glared at me, so I quickly changed what I was going to say, "Shoot, Sunshine. That was effing hot!"

Ely:

            I felt my face heat and I wasn't really sure how to respond to that.  I heard a thump, and then Jordan said, "Ouch! What was that for?"

            I glanced up to see Shawn glare at Jordan before resuming his long strides to the cafeteria. I glanced at Dominic and Jordan. Had I done something wrong?

            Dominic shrugged and Jordan looked puzzled, and I was too busy feeling confused when Dominic rested his wrist on my shoulder that I managed to keep myself from tripping. "It was nothing you did, Kitten. He was really impressed with your skills back there. We were all a bit stunned." He gave me a gentle smile and I bit my lip uncertainly.

            My eyes narrowed on the lightly bloodied shirt in his hand, "What happened?" I asked.

            Dominic shrugged casually and put his shirt back to his arm, "I pulled the stitches a bit." He replied. When I started to say something else, Dominic simply shook his head, "Don't worry about it. I'll be fine."

            I glared at him, but we didn't say anything more as we headed to the cafeteria and got our food. The cafeteria was a bit more crowded today than it had been yesterday, but we were still able to sit at the same table.

            Shawn:

            Damn it! Jordan wasn't wrong, it had been hot the way Ely fought with her chosen weapons. I had never seen anyone use thrown weapons with that skill before, and the concentration on her face when she bit her lip to listen to her surroundings had sent blood rushing straight to my groin.

            I refused to think of Ely in that way though. It would make working with her and the guys just that much more difficult, and she hasn't shown any indication that she'd even reciprocate my feelings. I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair, only to look up to see the others looking at me funny.

            "What?" I asked.

            "Are you okay?" Dominic asked in concern.

            "I'm fine." I said feeling a bit guilty for the harshness in my voice.

            "Shawn-" Dominic started to say as someone dropped their tray onto the table next to mine.

            "Hey there, gorgeous." A female voice practically purred.

            I glared at the source. "Jasmine." I muttered.

            "How was your last test?" She ran her fingernail lightly over my bicep, which gave me a chill.

            I grabbed her hand and glared at her, "knock it off, Jas."

            She pouted her pink lips and flipped her light brown hair over her shoulder. "What do you mean?" She asked, attempting to sound innocent.

            I shot her a look, but attempted to ignore her while the rest of my team carried on a conversation about ways to improve Jordan's accuracy.

            Jasmine ran a finger along my thigh and I jumped out of my seat, "Knock it the fuck off, Jas."

            Her eyes flashed in annoyance, "We had something once... I'm sure we could have that something again." She grinned and it thoroughly creeped me out.

            "Jas, we've never had something. I've avoided you like the plague while you persist in chasing after me like a lovesick pup." I replied harshly.

            Her gaze sharpened on me, "It's because of her, isn't it?" she asked, glancing quickly at Ely.

            I thought about that for a moment, and then shrugged. Let her think what she wanted, I had no desire to play her games.

            She watched me with interest for a moment, and then relaxed with a grin, "It can't be because of her. There would have been major rumors flying around if you liked another girl." She stated with confidence.

            The look she gave me scared me shitless, but I tried not to let it show. "It doesn't matter who I like, what matters is, I don't even like talking to you, why the hell would I want to date you?" I asked rhetorically. Jordan snorted back a laugh at my bluntness.

The other guys disposed of our trays, and I helped Ely to her feet. I slid my arm around her shoulders as I kissed the top of her head. I was prepared for her to trip this time, and was able to catch her easily by pulling her against my body.