14. CONTROLLING AND ABUSIVE

Start from the beginning

And that was not refreshing at all.

I rested my head against the seat and closed my eyes for a brief moment. The next thing I remember, someone was waking me up. I opened my eyes and found the familiar face of Sean Miller staring at me. The door to my side of the car was opened and he was standing outisde, waiting for me to wake up.

“Are we there yet?” I asked.

“It’s been just two hours since we left the house.” He replied. “Come on, let’s have lunch.”

As my eyes adjusted to the light, I realized we had stopped in front of a cafe. I stretched my arms groggily and walked out of the car, with my whole body aching due to sleeping in such an uncomfortable position.

“Won’t Thomas go with us?” I asked, staring at the giant.

“He keeps a stack with himself.” Mr. Miller replied.

“Of what? Human blood?” I asked and I swear I heard what sounded like a chuckle but I wasn't sure as I couldn’t see him clearly.

“You amuse me, Miss. Woods.” I heard him say.

“And you annoy me, Mr. Miller.” I rolled my eyes.

“I think we should at least be on a first name basis now.” He pointed out as we walked inside a cafe. It was a cozy little place and most of it was empty, except a family of 4 and a bunch of highschoolers.

“Yeah, we are close now. You have seen me in a towel and I have seen you kill someone.” I said snarkily and he exhaled loudly behind me.

I know I push my limits sometimes but I couldn't help it. Seeing him just brings out the worst in me.

We took a seat in a corner booth and a cute guy came to take our order. He looked about my age and was very pleasing to the eyes. He has a cute, boyish face and light brown hair gently falling on his forehead.

“One Chicken burrito with sweet potato fries.” Sean placed his order.

“And for you, Miss?” He smiled at me charmingly.

“Um…” I stared at the menu card. “What would you recommend?”

“Do you want something spicy or mild?” He asked.

“Um… Surprise me.” I replied with a sheepish grin.

Once he left, I looked back at Mr. Miller whose eyes were plastered on the retreating back of that waiter. “Wait here.” He said and walked over to the counter. There, he said something to the waiter, who looked like he just pissed his pants. With a snobbish look on his face, Sean walked back to the table and propped down.

“What did you say to him?” I asked.

“Nothing. I was just requesting him to add a beer.” He said but for some reason, I didn’t trust him.

When the waiter arrived with the food, he didn’t dare to look at me, let alone flirt. He just simply placed my bruschetta sandwich in front of me and left.

“You need therapy.” I said accusingly. “You are controlling.”

“Its’ my profession’s demand.” He said.

“And manipulative.” I added.

“That too.” He replied.

“And abusive.” I commented.

“When did I abuse you, Penelope?” He said, stressing over my name that rolled off his tongue like butter.

“You are doing it right now. Emotional abuse.” I said, taking a big bite of my sandwich.

“Then be grateful it's just emotional.” He said and I groaned.

“I hate you.” I said in a frustrated voice.

“The feeling is mutual.” He replied and focused his attention on his food.

We didn’t talk for the rest of the lunch. After lunch was over, I went to the bathroom to freshen up while he sat there. I had half a mind of running from the bathroom window but it would be too much work and he would find me anyway. So I just washed my face and went back.

He had already left for the car so instead of following him, I went to the waiter to say sorry.

“Your boyfriend is scary.” He replied. “I don’t think he would want you to talk to me.”

“He is not my boyfriend.” I cleared.

“Um… He seems pretty possessive about you.” He said.

“He is not posessive. He's crazy.” I corrected.

“Crazy about you.” The guy added. He was wrong though, Sean wasn’t interested in me in that way. He just likes to control everything and that’s why he doesn’t want anyone near me. Because that would make me feel like a human and he wouldn’t want that.

I said goodbye to him and walked out of the restaurant. Sean was leaning against his car, waiting for me, with his hands buried in the pockets of his jeans.

“I thought you might have tried to run.” He said, opening the door for me.

“I thought about it.” I said, sliding inside the car.

“What changed your mind?” He asked and motioned Thomas to start the car.

“My desire to reach my home.” I said.

“You’re becoming smarter.” He said, turning his face to the other side.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••