Chapter 49 - Capital of Unreturned

Start from the beginning

"If you say so, but still, a tree? Are they still alive?"

"Yes, definitely alive because I can sense vitality, but they may not be conscious. Just be careful and make sure you don't do anything rash even under invisibility when you enter."

"Yeah yeah I got it."

A little flash of light and both were invisible again, although both could see each other, and they made their way into the membrane.

...

"So you are delvers? Greetings... my name is Majikaja..." A gentle and soothing voice sounded out of a wooden horse-like robot thing, and greeted Riko, Reg and their group.

...

"HEY! Sto-"

"No Reg, it's okay."

"Okay?"

"Yeah, Prushka doesn't seem to dislike it."

"That is because the stone has not yet assumed its intended form as an instrument, where it's precision will increase."

...

"If you wish to buy the page, then you must offer something of equal value."

"Value?"

"Yes. You see, everything in this village is based of value."

"Then what do I have of value?"

"Your entire body is of value. I recommend selling body parts, or in fact... sell yourself. I would be willing to buy that."

"Uh... no thanks."

"Oh? A shame." Majikaja gave up after that, since stealing value in this village is akin to the gravest sin.

...

"Each Narehate's body is more or less their desired form. You see, we all challenged the Abyss one day, but lost our way and ended up here. And in exchange for our desired form and protection, we can never leave. That Narehate over there is different from us, since she became one at the old ritual site, and is protected by a powerful desire, which also has great value."

They're like me; they once dreamed of having an adventure...

...

A loud sound echoed throughout the place, and everyone got excited.

"What's happening?"

"It's the arrival of Faputa, the embodiment of value who can go anywhere. She rarely shows herself and will never die."

Without them knowing, behind them was Medea and Misaka and they also followed the crowd to see this so-called Faputa.

In fact, they've overheard every conversation they had in order to gather intel, but no clue of 'Irumyuui' had surfaced yet, so they had to wait longer.

(You think the Faputa person would know a thing or two?)

(I don't know, but if anyone knows it's her. There's no harm in seeing anyway.)

(Makes sense.)

Arriving at the membrane, they saw a figure sitting on top of a giant robot.

Her face, upper arms and upper torso was dark in colour. Her hair was long and feathery, and white fur covered her rabbit-like ears, forearms, legs and lower body. She had four arms, and on each hand was 3 large red claws that acts like fingers with the fourth and fifth one tucked away.

She had large yellow eyes, rounded pupils, and behind her were 5 tails which spread out like a fan.

(She looks rather innocent doesn't she) It was obvious Misaka wanted to give her a hug.