Chapter 15 - A Contract With The Devil

Chapter 15 – A Contract With The Devil

He thought that perhaps he found a new love interest, unfortunately even after all those dates and being taught how to swim, he was tricked. This nice and sweet girl turned out to be the bomb devil.

Reze flicked her wrist, and a small blast of vibrations shook the air and reached for Denji. The next second, the very place that he was at suddenly erupted, igniting Denji's right arm with fire.

"Why can't you just accept death? You have nowhere else to run, and you still stubbornly fight."

"Not nowhere else to run actually." He pointed a bloodied chainsaw that sprouted from his left hand in a certain direction, "the ocean in behind us. You know, you taught me how to swim, so I wanna run there."

She flicked another blast at his other arm, the one that was pointing. A cloud of smoke engulfed Denji, but when it cleared it revealed his arm, surprisingly attached. He managed to keep the arm connected to his torso by placing a chain between his shoulder and forearm. Flinging the chains at Reze, he wrapped her up and broke out a dash into the ocean.

This sudden turn of events shocked Reze, and before she was able to comprehend what happened, she found herself sinking to the bottom of the ocean. She then tried to escape, but realised she was unable to explode when wet.

Ironic that I would die in this way, I taught him to swim after all...

With resignation in her heart, she gave up resistance and accepted death.

...

She opened her eyes, to be greeted with a bright sun hanging in the sky. The light emphasised the golden nature of the sand and the hard shadows cast by the trees.

She looked around and identified herself to be on the beach in her human form, lying next to Denji.

"Why did you revive me?" It was a simple question.

"For my own happiness." Denji was somewhat serious, which was a rare occurrence, "I don't really know. I just felt like if I killed you, the thought would haunt me forever, which would be pretty annoying."

"You know, I could still easily kill you right now."

"Yeah I know, but if I'm gonna die, at least it will be at the hands of a beautiful woman."

This amused Reze, as she began to laugh. Only after a couple minutes the laughter began to die down.

"You still believe that? Let me tell you something, I never really liked you, and everything I did in the past was for my plan to kill you." She sneered. Then she got up and started to leave, leaving damp and heavy footprints on the sand.

She took 3 steps before Denji's voice stopped her.

"Can I leave with you and go on the run?"

"What?"

"Its just... I genuinely like you, and even if all your comments are a lie, you still taught me how to swim, which means that you at least still care about me to some level."

Once again being amused, she approached Denji and embraced him. He was elated, since he thought she accepted, only to realise he was mistaken, when Reze applied some force and snapped his neck.

His frail body then fell to the ground unable to move, and she left.

"THE CAFÉ!" He desperately shouted, "IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND, I'LL WAIT FOR YOU AT THAT CAFÉ!"

It was uncertain if she heard him, because they was no visible reaction from her, and her figure gradually disappeared into the distance.

...