33. Rip Marley

"JJ, I need to save her." I say on the phone.
"I'm not leaving you." He says on the other side.
"I'm not leaving her there. They'll mess with her."
"Fine. Come pick me up."
"What?" I hear John B yell.
"On my way." I say driving off.

I pull up and JJ jumps in.
"Hurry the fuck up!" John B yells. I nod speeding off.

"What camp is it?" He asks me.
"Dunno."
"Shit." He mutters. "Wait."

He pulls out his phone and calls someone.
"Hey Ricky." He says.

"What's the name of the wilderness camp that you got sent to in ninth grade for being a perv?" JJ asks.
"My bad, alright? All I need to know is, what's the name?"

A couple seconds go by.
"Kitty Hawk Camp."

"Funny, that's all I need. Thank you for the information, cuz." He says hanging up.

"Kitty Hawk Camp." I mutter.
"Call John B." He says. I nod.

"So uh, we need like eight hours for liberation." I say.
"I don't have eight hours. We have a get here. We're all waiting."
"I know, dog. I know that the clock is ticking." JJ says.
"Just wait as long as you can. If you gotta go, we'll meet you there."
"No, we can't just wait."
"I know! I'm working on it, dude. Luckily, I'm a problem solver." JJ says.
"Just try to wait." I say.

The tire explodes.
"Fuck!" I yell. The call cuts off. "My dads gonna kill me." I say.

We get out. JJ goes to the back to fix the tire.

A car is pulling up. It's Mike and another guy. They're pointing their gun at us.
"Shit." I mutter.
"Get back." JJ says to me as he stands infront of me.

"Really? After everything you just put me through, and you shoot out her dads tire! That's not even my car!"
"You lost the load, JJ. Now instead of me getting paid, I owe them. Which I guess means you owe me, right?"
"I know, Barr-."
"Get in the car!"

"As much as I would like to, we kinda got a date, so..." JJ says.
"You heard him. Get in the car."
"Okay. That's how it's gonna be. Look, I know you've heard the stories. About me and my friends, a little something called the Royal Merchant. A pile of gold. Is that ringing any bells?"
"I heard some bullshit."
"Well that bullshits real." I say.
"Yeah?"
"And yeah, we found it."

"Yeah, I saw. That's why you got a bunch of dudes throwing your furniture in a dumpster out back your house? You're living high off the hog, bro."
"Yeah, you're talking about the house that's being foreclosed? The cover? The one to throw off the scent? Rule number one, don't do flashy shit, like pay off a mortgage when you're cashing in."
"Stop. Let me guess. You got the gold. It's buried somewhere in a barn, right? And if I just let you go right now, you'll run right there, you'll get it, we'll split it, right?"

"Not exactly." I say.
"It's a little sweeter than that. Look let's just forget about the royal merchant gold. That's just the tip of the iceberg. We're going after the main course right now. We're going after the motherload."
"And that's the truth on why we need to get down to South America." I say
"Mike, come on. We're trying to help you. By giving you the opportunity to make ten times more. No skin off your nose. Just a lottery ticket."

The guy with the gun lifts it higher.
"So, in this hand, you get the pleasure of beating my ass right here, right now. I honestly get that temptation. I really do. Alright? But in this hand, Mike, you got a pile of gold. sitting and waiting for you, and all you need to have is a little bit of patience, okay? And a flight to South America."
"What do you need?"

We come up with a plan that might actually work.

JJ fixes the tire and we drive to Kitty Hawk.

"How y'all doing?" JJ asks the security.
"Can I help you?"
"Hi, uh. Camp counselor Laura, I'm her brother.
"I was gonna drop off one of these packages back here for her, if that's okay. Real quick, I promise. Just in and out."
"Okay, yeah. Go ahead." He says.

JJ and I drive in.
"How the hell does that shit always work?" I laugh.

We park.

"Hey sir!" JJ yells to the guy. "We're looking for the office. Is there like a main lodge or something?" He points.
"Thank you." I yell.

We walk in.
"How's it going, ma'am?" JJ asks. He's struggling to close the door. I try not laugh.
"Can I help you, son?" She asks looking at him.
"I have a message for one of your campers here. Her name is Kiara."
"Kiara Carrera." I say.
"She's here right?"
"Unfortunately, we're not allowed to do that. You're not even supposed to be here on campus."
"It's just very important." I say. "May we sit?"
"Uh." She says but we sit before she can continue.

"It's just a very important matter."
"Im sure it is, sweetie, but we have a policy. No contact from the outside world for the first six weeks." I look around noticing a cat photo. Cat lady. Perfect.
"Ma'am. It's actually a family matter." I say. "We're related to her."
"We're her cousins." JJ says.
"I understand there's a policy, but there's something that recently happened, that.." I say making myself seem upset. "Im sorry. This is just making me emotional."

JJ puts a hand on my shoulder.
"It's okay." He whispers.
"I think I should go." I say forcing a tear out.

JJ and I stand up.

"Can you just let her know that uh... Marley didn't make it?" I ask.
"Who's Marley?" She asks.
"Markey's her best friend. A Siamese mix, and yeah, it was really sudden." I wipe a tear and turn away from her.
"You know, the mailman was coming at 40 miles per hour so-." JJ says snapping his finger. "He's in a better place now."
"Can you please just let her know?" I ask. She lets out a breath.
"Thank you ma'am. You have a great one." JJ says as we walk out.

"Fucking geniuses." I mutter.
"Damn straight."

"Come on." He says.

We hide waiting for Kie.
"Why are we always breaking people out of shit?" I ask looking at JJ. He laughs.
"This one better actually work."
"It will."

We see her going to a cabin. We can see them talking through a window.

I turn to JJ. He hugs me.