Blood and Water

"What is that?" Kiato asks, eyes scanning the cavern of the temple where they can feel the mana wafting through.

"Not good," Yuno grits his teeth together, "I recognize that magic."

Beside him Asta is bristling with anxiety, claws scraping against the temple floor as he paces back and forth.

"Hey, can you hear me?"

"Captain Yami?" Yuno finds himself looking up to the ceiling where he can hear his captain's voice echoing.

"Listen up morons! Some nasty looking characters just crashed the party," Yami's words confirm Yuno's fears, "He's one of the Midnight Sun's strongest members - a real wild mage who's as strong as a magic knight captain...plus he's got four minions with him"

Asta bellows loudly, lips pulling up over his fangs to form a snarl.

"As of right now I can't get to you...you kids are gonna have to handle him on your own."

Yuno instinctively looks to Asta in worry, he doesn't know much about the beast mage but he does know that his mana is overwhelming. The brief glimpse they had gotten back at that cave had rattled Yuno to his core; he isn't sure how they will fare against him on their own.

"Now look, it's time to get serious, push past your limits...die and I'll kill you."

Asta shakes his head, teeth clacking together loudly as he meets Yuno's gaze.

"Time for a rule change," the voice of the High Priest echos, "Knights and mages, in order to win the game you must defeat team Eye of The Midnight Sun...all those who contribute to this victory will have their wishes granted, so far as my authority as High Priest of this temple allows."

"Sweet," Kaito pumps his fist, "this means our fight is on hold and we can fight together as friends!"

"We aren't friends," Yuno glares, "However, I'm not in the position to decline your help."

"As if!" Bell squeals, "come on Yuno, we don't need this fruity little freaks help!"

"Fruity?!"

"Enough," Yuno sighs, "I say we need his help Bell, so we need his help."

"Hmpf!" Bell crosses her arms, "I'm only agreeing to this because it's what my Yuno wants!"

Asta's bellow changes in pitch as he raises his head, eyes squinting down the cavern as if he can see something they can't.

Yuno jolts when he feels a familiar tug on his satchel, the five leaf grimoire breaking free and flying to his brother's side.

"Asta?" Yuno asks in surprise.

The cursed spirit rears his head around to look at him once more.

Then he's drawing his lips back and flaring his teeth in a snarl, a low reptilian hiss spilling from his throat.

Yuno steps back in complete confusion.

Never before has Asta ever directed his anger at him.

"Asta?" His voice is small, filled with disbelief and hurt.

His brother's snarl falters for a brief moment, before his eyes harden and he shakes his head again.

"Stay."

Yuno stills.

His eyes are wide and his blood runs cold.

"Wha-it can talk?!" Kiato cries out in surprise.

Asta keeps his eyes focused on his brother as he backs towards the cavern, he manages to put some distance between them, Yuno too shocked to do anything other than stare.