- CHAPTER 9: Freedom -

"Thank you all for attending this assembly for parents and children."
The microphone echoed while we all sat outside the school. Up on the stage was Matilda and Miss Honey. Miss Honey looked happier than ever. She didn't stutter or go quiet. She was herself.

"First, I'd like to tell all the parents of the pupils in Crunchem Hall that the allegations of Headmistress Trunchbull were infact true. The box made of spikes and wood, the poor child being thrown. It all was true.
Fortunately, I am relieved to say that the Headmistress, Agatha Trunchbull has fled. No child should ever be punished in her ways. Never again. And no child should ever not be heard. So that is why, today, I would like to show my gratitude to some of the children of Crunchem Hall. Can I have all the prefects up here in order please?"

That was the first time I saw the prefects walk like normal kids.
Not soldiers.
Regular kids.

Gwyneth was called to stand with Miss Honey first. It was never hard to not notice Gwyneth Miller. She always wore a dark red bow in her hair to match the blazer. She had long curled chestnut brown hair and green eyes with a bit of inner brown around her pupil. Gwyn was a straight A student but loved helping the younger kids study. You would've thought the Trunchbull adored her, but Gwyneth wasn't afraid to share her opinions and stand up to the Trunchbull in a passive aggressive way. That's probably why she was almost kicked from being a prefect once. That was pretty funny.

Molly was next. She had blonde short hair and hazel eyes. She was just a year older than Matilda so she was pretty young. She was very anxious and always stuck to Gwyneth like glue. She was still nice though.

Once all the prefects were thanked and admired, they called up all of Matilda's group. Matilda, Lavender, Amanda, Eric and most importantly (in my opinion) Bruce.

"All of these particular little kids are in my classroom but they were never letting themselves be walked over. One particular girl made them think that way. Not just them but the whole school. One strong, brave and courageous little girl never let herself be walked over or any of the other kids. Give it up for Hortensia Buckets!"

I stood up and walked up to the stage while all the little kids cheered. I looked over at the side to see Bruce and Matilda and the other kids cheering like wild animals, mostly Bruce screaming and cheering. I laughed and bowed to all the adults and kids.
Infact, I got a standing ovation. I never thought it would happen but it did. I looked to the other side to find Gwyneth carrying Molly on her back while Molly clapped excitedly. Gwyneth cheered for me too, but when I looked over at Henry I just found him staring at me before looking away with a little tint of red in his cheeks.

"Now, I would love to invite all of the kids of Crunchem Hall to stand up and join us in our new school naming ceremony!"

All the kids stood up in different places while Miss Honey and Matilda went to the gate and there was a large red ribbon on it. We all started singing but first Miss Honey started.

"I was sure that I would never escape the story I had written for me.. I couldn't find a way out, I couldn't see beyond the clouds that swirled around me.." She sung to Matilda and she looked up at her with a grin.
"Then one day I opened my eyes and looked up to find that the sky had turned blindingly blue, and right by my side there was you.. Quietly taking your stand, and you were holding my hand.."

They both turned to face us hand in hand while singing a duet.
"I believed that I (I believed),
Would never be able to rely (that I would never find),
On anybody else (anybody else).."
"And I was sure that I, (I was),
Would just have to learn to survive (sure that I would always)..
All by myself (be all by myself).."
"And one day I opened my eyes (one day I opened my eyes),
And looked up to find that the sky had turned blindingly blue.. and right by my side there was you.."
They both looked at eachother.
"Quietly taking a stand, amd you are holding my hand.."
"You are holding my hand," Miss Honey sung before cutting the ribbon. They both continued singing but all of us ran in.

The statue that once had Miss Trunchbull on it had me and Bruce there. There was loads of carnival rides scattered around and all the kids sprinted towards them.

We all played in the new rides until finally leaving for the weekend. Finally school was a better place. For all of us.
Matilda was able to stay here,
Bruce was finally free from the Trunchbull's rules.
And Gwyn..-
She looked off. Like really off. When she was up on that stage she looked uncomfortable. She's not anxious infront of crowds. It's like someone had said something to her.

I sighed and decided to go check on her. I left my window like I always did to get out of the house and ran to her place which was in the rich kids estate.

I knocked on her door to find her stepmother who looked angry but when she saw me she smiled.
"Oh, Hortensia! Hello dear. What do you need?"
"Um, can I talk to Gwyneth?"
"Oh, sure.. she's— one second, darling."

*SLAM!*

"Uh.. wow. Well—"
Suddenly I could hear her stepmom yelling from the inside of the house.

The door opened quickly and Gwyneth came out.
"Tensia, uh, hey." She smiled quickly.
"Hey.. well, um, are you okay?" I asked her.
"Yeah. Why?" Gwyneth tilted her head.
"You looked.. really.. well, you know.. sad?" I shrugged.
"Look, Hortensia. I'm fine. Don't worry.." She tried comfort me but I knew something was wrong so I just had to keep asking even if it wasn't really the best thing to do.
"Gwyn, don't lie. Is something going on in your family-" She cut me off completely.

"Listen, Tensia. My family business doesn't concern you. Nothing about me that's personal should. Just cut it out, okay?"

I stepped back before looking down. "Oh. Uh, yeah. See you on Monday, I guess." I quickly left. As I walked back home I knew that what I had said was wrong.
I shouldn't of kept on pushing her.
But what I had said wasn't completely wrong.
Something was definitely up in her family.