Chapter 12 - You Should Probably Leave

I know it ain't all that late
But you should probably leave
And I recognize that look in your eyes
Yeah, you should probably leave

'Cause I know you and you know me
And we both know where this is gonna lead
You want me to say that I want you to stay
So you should probably leave
Yeah, you should probably leave

There's still time for you to finish your wine
Then you should probably leave
And it's hard to resist, alright, just one kiss
Then you should probably leave

'Cause I know you and you know me
And we both know where this is gonna lead
You want me to say that I want you to stay
So you should probably leave
Yeah, you should probably leave

Like a devil on my shoulder you keep whisperin' in my ear
And it's gettin' kinda hard for me to do the right thing here
I wanna do the right thing, baby

You Should Probably Leave - Chris Stapleton

-----

Le Baoli Club, Cannes, France - May 16th 2023 - 11 pm

The thumping of music coming out of the speakers and flashes of red light from the walls finally snapped Sebastian awake from Stephanie's charm. He blinked several times and looked up to see Stephanie still smiling warmly down at him.

"Mind if I sit down?" She asked.

"Umm.. no, go ahead." He said even though his instinct told him that it was a bad idea.

"So, I saw your movie. It was amazing! And you were amazing!" She gushed as she sat across from him.

"Thank you, Stephanie. I appreciate it." He said, feeling butterflies in his stomach again. Stop it! You're a happily married man with a beautiful wife and child, you should not feel this way towards another woman! He scolded himself as he turned his gaze away from her and leaned back on his seat.

"So, I'm sure you're curious on why I'm here." She said with a twinkle in her eyes.

Sebastian took a sip of his beer and looked up at her. Trying hard not to feel anything for her again.

"Yeah actually. I am. So, are you going to tell me? If not, it's okay. It doesn't matter." He shrugged. It really didn't matter to him because she was nothing to him. He had Y/n and she was enough. She was more than enough. He thought, trying to convince himself.

"Well, I'm kind of embarrassed to say this, but.. I'm here to accompany a new and upcoming director, Luke Haas, you might have heard of him?" She asked.

"Oh, yeah. Isn't he nominated in the short film category?" Sebastian asked.

"Yes, he is." Stephanie nodded.

"Oh, so you're seeing him?" He asked, a slight relief filled his heart.

"Oh, no, not at all." She chuckled.

"If you're not seeing him, then.. you must be his assistant." He concluded and made Stephanie laughed even louder.

"I forgot how naive you could be, Seb." She said, giving him an adoring look, making his heart skipped a beat. This time he didn't scold himself and just let it go.

"Okay. So you're here as his what exactly?" He asked curiously.

"I'm his escort, Seb." She replied and Sebastian's heart dropped to his stomach.