Chapter 12

"You did so well," Tris says to me for at least the third time.

Unsurprisingly, talking to the police in Baltimore took a lot out of me. But with the guidance of my lawyers and PR team, and the support of my friends, I came forward and started the journey to reclaiming my identity.

Detective Williams was shocked to hear from me. He'd asked me some questions only I would know, then asked if we could video conference so he could see me. Tris set it up, and moments later I was looking at Edward and his partner, Myra Hough.

I answered their questions, and Harrison stepped in a few times when they strayed from their investigation's territory and got curious. I told them about Marcus' abuse and my mother's death, then felt terrible when I saw how guilty and heartbroken Andrew and Natalie became at learning the depths of what I'd been through. I answered questions about my last fight. I explained why and how I'd left Baltimore, and how I'd managed to rebuild my life.

We asked them not to talk to Marcus, but they suggested that we allow them to notify him that I had been found. Once it was agreed that they would not give him my contact information or even the location where I was living or the name I was using, I agreed. Detective Hough even apologized that they couldn't arrest Marcus for abusing my mother and I. I appreciated the apology, but assured them that I understood the statute of limitations and that it was my own fault for not coming forward sooner. Detective Williams suggested that I could sue Marcus in civil court if needed. Bud and Harrison had brought that up before, and I assured them that I would if I needed to.

By the time the call was through, I was exhausted. Tris ended the call with Max. The lawyers and PR team left soon after. Dr. Amar offered me some words of support and encouraged me to get some sleep tonight before he also left.

Eric gave me a long brotherly hug. "I'm proud of you," he said before corralling the Pedrads and Lauren out of the conference room.

When it was just me and the three Priors, Natalie took a turn hugging me. "I'm so sorry," she said. "If we'd known-"

"Don't," I interrupted. "You did more good than you'll ever know. Don't beat yourselves up for what you didn't know."

"I need to get him home for some food and rest," Tris insisted, then hugged her parents and ushered them out.

That's how I find myself sitting at Tris' kitchen table with a half-eaten bowl of stew and an amazing, supportive woman in front of me.

"You look so wrung out," she says regretfully. "What can I do?"

I can't hold back the scoffing noise that comes from me. "You've done everything," I tell her. "You're amazing, and far more than I deserve. Without you I might have chickened out or screwed up, but you arranged everything. Then you took me home and fed me, too. You're incredible, Tris, and I appreciate you so much. I'm just tired, and I'd like nothing more than to help you clean up the dishes then curl up with you in my arms. Is that okay?"

She agrees eagerly because she's amazing, yet somehow she wants me.

We move through the apartment quietly cleaning up and getting ready for bed, and soon we're curled up together on her soft mattress.

I try to relax. Having Tris in my arms helps, but I'm still feeling spun up. I listen as her breathing evens out.

"I'm scared," I whisper to the woman sleeping in my arms.

"I know," she whispers back, making me startle. "It's okay to be scared, Tobias. I'll be right here beside you. Everything will be okay."
.
.
.
Epilogue

Reclaiming your identity after being declared dead is complicated. Dealing with the press isn't a lot of fun either. Filing a restraining order against your own father, being sued for libel and slander, and having to talk about your private life and abuse history in public is horrible.

But I survived, and just like my first go with Marcus, I got through it because of the good people in my life.

Newly renamed Eaton Property Management hit some speed bumps when my story went public and I had to put so much time into my new legal and public relations challenges. But Zeke really stepped up when Tris and I needed to be away. An infusion of capital from Eric, who became a silent partner, also made a big difference.

Eric asked the Giants to release him after the death of Al Connors, and the team was really understanding about everything. For one full year Eric stayed in Chicago and saw Dr. Amar and a sports psychologist while he worked diligently on both his physical and mental health. In the off-season, Andrew Prior lobbied hard for him, and the Chicago Bears agreed to take him on.

Eric continued to see Lauren, as well. They have established a stable life here in Chicago, even convincing Eric's mom to relocate to the windy city. Lauren sold her bookkeeping business and works part-time for me while managing Eric's assets. The two of them are expecting a little girl in a few months.

Eric isn't the only one who found love through my ordeal. Dr. Amar recently began dating George Wu, one of my PR people. We heard about it from his sister, Tori, who is also on my PR team and who has become good friends with Tris. When the stress of my situation makes me want to have a pity party and ask 'why me?' I think of the couples who met as a result of my ordeal.

The best couple to emerge from all this (at least in my opinion) is me and Tris. She is amazing, and having her by my side at work, in court, during interviews, and (of course) at home, makes me stronger and a better man.

I'm calling on that strength right now as I prepare to face my crippling fear of heights for her.

"You don't have to do this," Tris whispers at me. The whisper is really more of a hiss, which makes me realize that I'm squeezing her fingers too hard.

"Sorry," I mutter. "But I want to. For you."

Tris grins her proud, shy grin, and turns her attention to the panoramic view as the ground gets farther and farther away. I can't believe I'm in a stupid wicker basket, lifting away from the safety of solid ground under the power of a balloon and a live flame. Who came up with this idea? And how often do hot air balloons light themselves on fire and plummet to the ground?

I should have picked a safer way to do this.

Reminding myself to breathe, I take another look at Tris. She's absolutely fearless and stunningly beautiful in the early morning light.

"I see Chicago!" Tris exclaims as we get high enough to glimpse the skyline of the distant city.

Her distraction is my cue, and I shove a trembling hand into my pocket to retrieve the small box hidden there. I drop to one knee. Just like we practiced, I say to myself in a quick pep talk.

"Beatrice," I say, but it comes out squeaky and nervous. I clear my throat. "Tris?" I try again.

Tris turns, then startles to find me on one knee.

"I love you," I continue. "You have been my rock for a long time. As a child you were one of my first friends. At work I rely on you. And through all my bullshit with Nita, Marcus, Baltimore… I mean, you've just… you've been there, Tris. And I couldn't have done it without you. I don't want to do anything without you anymore. I love you. Will you marry me?"

A beat passes, but it feels like an hour. I was fairly confident after everything we've been through that Tris will say yes, but what if she doesn't? What if everything has been too much? What if…

"Yes," Tris' voice breaks through my panic. "Yes. Of course. Tobias. I would love nothing more than to be your wife."

I jump to my feet and engulf my girlfriend- fiancee - in a big hug. She said yes!

"I love you," I say as I fumble to get the diamond solitaire on her finger without dropping it out of the hot air balloon.

"I love you too," Tris giggles, wiping happy tears from her cheeks.