Chapter 6

"Nita."

My secretary's softly spoken confession knocks the wind out of me.

Tris, my Tris, advocates for me. She cares for me. She insisted on serving my divorce papers, and she was attacked.

For me.

"Please tell me you defended yourself," I choke out.

Tris' eyes are still on the floor as she shakes her head.

"I couldn't," she whispers.

"Tris," I plead, taking her hands in both of mine, "you kickbox. You run. You're incredibly strong and capable. You could have - should have defended yourself."

She shakes her head. "I couldn't," she reiterates. "If I hurt her it hurts your case. She's a horrible person, and I just couldn't give her any leverage against you."

I'm shocked. Flabbergasted. Stunned and humbled all over again. I don't deserve this amazing woman. I'm a mess, and she's getting hurt defending me. I don't deserve her as my assistant, my friend, or… or anything else.

"I'm so sorry," I choke out. "I'm beyond touched that when you were attacked you thought of me and defended me instead of yourself. You are an amazing woman, Tris Prior."

Before I can stop myself I pull her into my arms and hug her close. She smells like fresh air, sunshine, and flowers. I could get drunk on that smell.

"Take the day off," I insist. "Go home and rest. Eat ice cream and watch movies. Take a nap. Ice that eye. A day of hazard pay is the very least I can do."

Tris blushes as she steps out of my embrace. I wish she wouldn't. I wish she'd stay in my arms. But she could do so much better. I'm a mess of drama and insecurity. She got hurt because of me. She could only do better.

"Maybe you should call Eric," I suggest. It's the right thing to say. They care for each other. He'll take care of her and keep her safe like I obviously can't.

.

When Tris comes back to work on Wednesday, the swelling in her face has gone down. The bruising on her eye has started to fade, too.

I resist the urge to talk to her about my divorce. Nita and David have both called and left me angry, vaguely threatening messages. My lawyer, Harrison, kept the recordings.

Zeke took the news of my drama really well. He's an optimistic guy, and he's never liked Nita. He thinks the company and I will fare just fine with all the evidence of her infidelity. I wish I could be as sure as he is.

.

On Thursday Tris gets flowers at work. She doesn't say anything about them, so I read the card tucked among the blossoms when she's out picking up lunch. "To my north star," it reads. "You always guide me home. - Eric"

It's touching, and my chest aches knowing he can talk to her like that. I return to my office to lick my emotional wounds.

Tris deserves to be happy. Eric deserves to be happy. If they make each other happy, I should be happy for them. Besides, I'm still technically married to Nita.

.

On Friday Eric surprises Tris by arriving with her favorite lunch. I suggest they use the conference room and take their time, then spend the hour sulking in my office.

I'm an idiot. This amazing woman has been right in front of me all along. I mean, I knew it. I knew how incredible Tris was all along. If I wasn't such a coward who stayed in an unhappy marriage hiding from my past I might have had a chance with her.