Chapter 10

I sat, dazed and conflicted. I know I'm in deep trouble. My internship director, Courtney, is the one who has planned this whole thing out for all of the interns. She's the one who paired me up with Dr. Lewis, being Dr. Lewis' intern and learning the ropes. She was so helpful and kind. And I broke her trust. I broke the rules. I ruined my future. I'm fired from the internship, and any other job in my future. I'm finished.

Courtney ended the silence. "I came to see how you were doing."

I nodded. "Yes, thank you. It's very kind of you to come on a holiday," I tried. This isn't working. I'm dead. I can see the fury burning in her eyes.

"One of the best ways to solve issues?" Courtney said next, "Speak directly about them or to them. We all know that. So what are we doing this banter for? We can all see there's an issue here." 

I looked at the floor, quietly.

"He's your patient, isn't he?" she said.

"Yes," I declared, knowing there's no way out.

"I see. Well, you know the guidelines, Ali-"

"Yes, I know, but-"

"But NOTHING, Ali!" Courtney nearly shouted. "This is wildly inappropriate! Do you think this is alright to just sleep around with patients? This doesn't only cost you- it costs everyone. Me. Your professor. Dr. Lewis' time and- oh," she paused. "Wait till Dr. Lewis hears about this. She's going to be livid."

I could never picture Dr. Lewis being livid. She seemed too kind.

"Along with being livid," Courtney added, "she'll probably be pretty disappointed too. She had so much faith in you. She has been giving you glowing recommendations that would look lovely on many job applications."

"Please, Courtney, I beg of you, let me stay," I pleaded, tears forming.

"I'm afraid I can't do that."

"Yes, yes you can! You can do it!"

"Not with this going on," she gestured to the general area of Marcus and I. 

"Courtney-"

"I said no."

"What if nothing was going on?" Marcus said straight-forward, no emotion, his face stony. I haven't looked at him this whole time. Though a person who didn't know Marcus well wouldn't see it, I could. He was angry, jaw clenched tight. He looked straight into Courtney's serious, cold eyes.

"Nothing? Are you really denying everything right now? Alison basically just confessed."

"Yes, but what if we stopped, ended the relationship right now?"

"Right now?"

"Right now."

"There would still be an issue. Alison is still a doctor technically and she did have sexual relations with you."

"And if I drop the therapy sessions?"

"Then I could reconsider."

"As in Ali would be out of trouble?"

"Exactly. But you would still be unable to see each other, considering the circumstances. It wouldn't look good if Marcus dropped therapy and 'coincidentally' began to date Alison."

"Then when would Ali and I be able to date?"

Courtney paused and looked between us. "Never, really. It would never look good. No matter the amount of time."

Marcus looked straight at me, a pondering look upon his face. I still looked down, nervous.

"I'll give you a deal," Courtney said. "You end the relationship and Marcus' therapy sessions by tomorrow night, then you're in the clear as long as you pretend to never know each other as anything more than doctor and patient, and you see each other as little as possible. Allow Alison to complete the internship, fly back to the United States, and everything will be back to normal. You'll forget about each other by then. Got it?"

"What if we don't end the relationship?" Marcus countered.

"Then we have a very serious issue on our hands," Courtney replied simply and without any sort of regret. I heard she was a mean person, I just never believed it. How could someone in her profession turn her emotions on and off just like that?

Courtney stood from the chair she was sitting in and walked out of the door, unfazed by her bi-polar like attitude. 

Marcus and I looked at each other in disbelief. I was dumbfounded, upset, and alone, because Marcus and I have declared that this will have to be the end of our relationship for our careers. 

It was so selfless of him to do that. We both know it has nothing to do with him or his career. It's me. I was the one causing the problems. And he still talked about it as if it wasn't only me and that the blame was equal.

 Marcus was released from the hospital since he was only a little sore with some cuts and bruises. I stayed in the hospital for another night under observation.

I felt more alone now more than I ever had before.

And I was devastated.