Chapter 44 - Preparations and Descent

Start from the beginning

"YEAH! Okay, I get it. I don't need any more lectures on what I can do."

Still, she figured all that out just from electrons. It took me actually using the ability to figure that out. She is very smart.

"I apologise. Anyway, we are approaching the houses soon, so here's what we'll do. I will cast invisibility over us, and we will split up to find information and gather key things. Meet back here when the sun sets and we will share. I estimate around 5 hours."

"Okay then, but about the invisibility..."

"Oh yes, make sure to not leave any tracks. It completely hides you, including your clothes and stuff, but you still exist. You can interact with objects and leave footprints and stuff, so don't get caught."

"Oh, okay."

...

The sun finally began to set, and night was upon them.

At the exact same spot as before, two figures slowly started to fade into reality.

"This is quite more complicated than it seems, just like we thought."

"Yes indeed. So let's consolidate."

"As the information given says, the massive pit in the middle is called the Abyss. Hence the title of the world 'Made in Abyss'

The hole has a diameter of around 1000 meters and the depth is unknown.

There are many mysteries surrounding it, and many have descended into the put. Some pursue treasures, whilst others are explorers determined to unveil the secrets of the Abyss. The people who go in are called Delvers.

The Abyss still contains many sections that have never been seen, and carries many dangers. Hazardous habitats that defy common sense and otherworldly creatures adapted to the unique environment are major obstacles to explorers.

The more mystical part arrives.

All over the Abyss, there is a mysterious force field which acts like a source of energy, sustaining life by carrying sunlight and nutrients into the depths where it could otherwise be impossible for light to reach. It is more concentrated as one gets closer to the vertical shaft.

It is also said that there are bits of time distortion. So that's why the time limit said relative one year.

But the interesting part it, there is this so called curse of the Abyss.

The term refers to a series of symptoms that manifest upon ascending while inside the Abyss, and everyone has a more scientific term called the Strains of Ascension. The effects of the curse manifest after ascending around 10 meters and it affects all living things.

Apparently, the deeper one delves, the more severe the symptoms are, starting at mild dizziness and nausea, and gradually rising to intense pain throughout the body, loss of senses and even death. This makes the return trip from the Abyss extremely difficult, and it is not uncommon for Delvers to perish on the way up.

There are these things called whistles which indicate the delver rank of its owner.

Red whistles are objects that indicate the delver of its owner as an apprentice Delver.

Blue whistles are objects that indicate the delver of its owner as a more experienced Delver.

Moon whistles indicate the owner is highly proficient.

Black whistles indicate that they are an expert Delver.

And then there are white whistles, who are regarded as legends. They are considered to be the greatest Delvers of all time. Their achievements have changed the world, and their discoveries astonished all. They all have a title, beginning with 'Sovereign of'.