The other direction was the sunset, a beautiful combination of orange and pink, a splash of blue. Ashley let out a breath, "Mission accomplished, right?"

"Mission accomplished...when you're home safe." Leon objected.

"Yeah missy, I think you need a vacation after this. In a safe place, of course." Rae suggested, knowing how taxing a long day could be on the mental state.

"Thank you two for saving me." Ashley looked at the two genuinely. Rae couldn't help the proud smile that grew on her face.

"Don't mention it." Leon brushed off.

Rae smirked, "Or mention it to everyone. He won't admit it, but he loves to gloat. I know with firsthand experience."

"You know, I could put in a word with my dad." Ashley mentioned, "Have you two assigned to my detail, if you guys are interested?"

"You don't need us." Leon denied kindly, "You proved you can handle yourself."

Rae huffed, "Speak for yourself Leon, I'm awesome." She leaned forward and wrapped her arms back around his waist as she said so. He leaned back into her hold, enjoying her warmth.

"You are pretty awesome." Ashley grinned at the older woman.

Rae sent her a look over her shoulder, "I know right? You're not so bad yourself." Rae gave her a proud smile, "You did good Ashley."

"But you could use a lesson in knife safety." Leon joked. Ashley and Rae laughed as he turned back around, "Come on, let's go home."

     "Good job." Rae leaned forward to tighten her arms around Leon, she said into his ear, "You did it Kennedy."

Leon's hand reached up and grasped hers that was laying on his chest. He denied, "No we did it, Silivan." He broke her hug and turned around, looking at her, "Together."

Rae felt a grin coming on her face as she nodded, echoing, "Together."

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

After the mission, everyone had split up. Leon and Rae went to give their reports to their specific places while Ashley was reuniting with her family.

Ashley had tried to get the two to sign up to be her personal bodyguards, but both said no, once more. As fond as she was of the girl, Leon had brought it to light that Ashley may have had a small crush on her. And while she was flattered, Rae didn't want to give the girl any false hopes.

Especially because Rae loved someone else.

     "Hey..." Said person's voice caught her attention. Rae turned and found Leon leaning on the wall beside her.

     "What?" She asked.

There was a briefly tense moment as both waited for the other to decide how they would he acting with each other now. Before the mission they hadn't spoken at all, but now, would it be any different? Neither said it aloud, but they wished so dearly so.

     Leon took charge, "I remember a certain someone saying they never got their burger date." Leon started; Rae noticed that his eyes were moving around nervously.

     Rae blinked at him, waiting a second before she caught on and asked, "You paying?"

     "I mean...If you want to, I won't stop you." Leon suggested.

     "In your dreams Kennedy." Rae rolled her eyes. She pushed herself off the wall and began to walk down the hallway.

     Leon smiled and followed her like a lost puppy that had finally found its owner, "My car or your car?"

"You still have the same one?" Rae inquired.

"Yeah."

"Your car, but," Rae gave a pause to let her answer settle in, "I'm driving." She said it as seriously as she could. There was no way she'd let Leon drive again. She didn't even trust him to drive himself, let alone her.

Leon nodded, a small smile on his face. He was just happy she had said yes.

Other workers stared at the pair walking down the hallway, the two that were usually silent and glaring at everyone, now smiling and joking with each other.

     "Whatever you say Silivan."

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

AUTHORS NOTE !

AHHHH!!

Thank you so much for reading,
all your comments and votes are extremely appreciated and make my day <333

Someone asked me if I was going
to make a 3, but I'm unsure because
I'm struggling on making a plot
for a third book. (If anyone has any
ideas feel free to leave them)
But if not, this might just be the end
of Leon and Rae.

This is super bittersweet for me 😭

Posted: April 19, 2023
Words: 1252
Edited: ✘︎