CHAPTER 26 : The List

Start from the beginning

How did he know she is my wife? There are only selected people who know about it.

Antonio.

Diego.

Charlotte.

Lorenzo.

Francesco.

Francesco wouldn't do it. I know it. He won't. Then who?

I still had one picture in my hand... Ariana Lincoln (The wife, right?")

I stared at Ari's picture.

I just found you after six years Ari, I am not ready to lose you. I can't lose you. I have to do something to keep you safe even if that includes forcing you or hurting you again.

I have to do everything as quickly as possible, according to these pictures Ari is number one on his killing list.

My phone vibrated. I looked at it to see a text from an unknown number.

Unknown:

Hope you liked the surprise!
Try your best to save her. But I can guarantee you she will die.

I read the text. Switching off the phone I kept it inside my pants pocket. He isn't killing her today. It's been years with these criminals at least I know these people this much.

I rested my elbows on the desk with my hands on my head trying my best to think something to keep Ari safe.

"I want to tell you something, son." Dad spoke, staring outside at the view.

We were seated at the rooftop of my penthouse. He said he missed me so wanted to pay me a visit.

I served him the tea cup and took my seat beside him.

"Is there someone you love?"

I looked at Dad with my brows furrowed, he looked serious. I scoffed "Please Dad you know that's not me. Love isn't my thing."

"Anytime you fall in love, just let go of her. Love is a drug that makes you weak, it will kill you someday."

I rolled my eyes "First of all, love isn't my thing Dad. And second, even if I fell in love with someone, why would it kill me? I am not a mafia."

"But your father is. You wouldn't know how it feels to fail the person who has faith in you, to lose the person you want to be with forever and what hurts the most is when the person is innocent and you are the one responsible for her death."

The words he said that day, feels so true now.

I don't wanna fail Ari. I don't wanna lose Ari. I wanna be the one to protect her. And if she dies on me, I'll die too.

No. That's not gonna happen.

I know how to protect the people I love.

I am not gonna fail like Dad did.

I held my head "No."

This one thing has haunted me the day I met Ari. The fear of losing her. The fear of losing like Dad did.

I am not losing her. Never.

I decided to call Ari.

"Yes, Sir?" She answered.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Working. There were few files you asked to summarise them so I was doing that."

"I have asked one of my men to get Ian, you come to the penthouse now."

"What? Now?"

"Just do as I said."