♔ 𝕿𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕿𝔴𝔬 ♔

Start from the beginning

He leaves to find Libitina as midday breaks, Tynan regretfully trailing behind so he can be ready to call Vasami into the air. I ask for a moment reprieve, alone, and though I do not explain why, Calix grants me my request.

I want to leave, of course, but it is difficult to know that as soon as I do, things will change forever. When I return to Vrodora, I remain there with the knowledge that my father prepares for war. I must balance the weight of revenge and rescue. There are people that deserve to be spared – Cenred, Marquis, Aelia. Even Ezekiel. If I murder their Lords before my father makes his move, I sentence them all to a far worse fate.

Darin, too. It is a regretful conclusion to come to, knowing he will likely stand at my father's side. He has not wronged me, is still holding out for the naïve hope that we will reunite as a family. He has not wronged me, and I do not want him dead. He is my brother but what can I do to save him? If he stands against me, I will not let love mist my judgement. My father must die. Darin can take his throne. But should Darin die in combat...

When did everything become so complicated? I had only ever wanted to avenge myself – Sloan now, too – but suddenly it has become a war against Realms. Against myself. I want to save Vrodora from Xandaran invasion, only so I can be responsible for its ruin, and me alone. I wish to save Fae, knowing that they will likely hate me for what I have done to their home. Is such mercy granting me only to more enemies? I want to return home, to my family, but will I ever be presented with the opportunity? Who knows what has come of them now, and if they still live, will they react just as Magnus did? With disgust and hatred. There is no telling if they will fall into my arms or repent my every action. Yet, I cannot leave them alone. If Darin is right, both my brother and sister have the potential to settle, and they do not deserve to do that alone. I want to be there for them, help them, nurture them into the new forms they will so likely despise. Problematic, for they cannot do so in Cracuria. There, Fae are hated, and am I not planning such an enterprise that will see to my family and I being hated in so many Realms? Perhaps, if Darin ascends the throne, he will grant mercy for his younger siblings and allow them to live in Xandara. He is a stubborn male, though, and I know without his word that if I were to fell my father, he would offer me no such thing.

I will not leave my family again. We will have to go to Poseiren – a place where land Fae struggle in cramped quarters – or Belici, and I do not know enough about that Realm for it to be a comfortable option.

Besides, there is one domineering complication rising within all of this. The way leaving Vrodora forever makes me ache. No, less the Realm, but one place in particular. Those that live in that place. I will see no harm befall Tynan, Libitina, Ryke or Calix. No harm befalls the Lord's people, as I promised. But when this is all done, when this temporary fixture has forgone its benefit, how will I say goodbye?

When had I come to care for the members of the Night Court? It was never supposed to be this way.

My belongings are already in the carriage, and I turn to leave the wing, ready to take myself. I had thought about finding Darin, but selfishly opted against it. It will be impossible to bear his begs of diplomacy, and I do not have the heart to tell him what I intent to do. I would rather he hate me from afar, than have to watch his face fall with disappointment.

I begin down the corridor at a slow, unrushed pace. All of it begins as soon as I leave this castle. As soon as Vasami rises to the sky. As soon as the wheels of the carriage touch down in Vrodora. The path of the prophecy will slowly start to unravel and present itself.

"Daenira!" I turn to the call, Roman pacing towards me in a hurry. I pause, intending to hear him out. Cowardly, I had decided against goodbyes with him too. It feels wrong to tarnish his perception of me. "You planned to leave without a farewell?" He asks when he reaches me.