Chapter 10

The instant I said that, I felt something change.  It wasn't clear what and there was no way to describe it, I just knew it.

"Mereniver...." Thorin was giving me a real smile, "....I thought because since you were so hesitant to tell me before that it wasn't me."

"It's you.  I felt something change the instant I said that.  Let me try something."  I reached out with my mind and immediately felt Thorin's mind next to me.

Can you hear me, Thorin?

"How are you doing that?  I knew you could do that since you told me this morning but I never thought it would be just like hearing you actually speak!"

It's really pretty easy since you're sitting next to me, I think if you were to go farther away, it would be harder for us to communicate.  You should be able to do the same thing, reach out with your mind and when you feel mine, just think what you want to say.

Like this?

"Yes!"  I moved to embrace him but I paused, was this going too fast?  He seemed to sense my hesitation and closed the distance between us, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me closer to him.  I sighed, I had never felt so happy in my life.

We sat there for what seemed like several minutes but when we finally pulled away, our eyes got stuck.  I was suddenly very aware of how close our faces were, and that the hug had brought my chest up against his.  We sat like that for several seconds when I surprised him (and myself) when I closed the distance between us.

Our first kiss was soft and gentile and he didn't respond right away, but when he did, it was slow and hesitant.  I suddenly found myself unable to breathe but I didn't want this to end.  It seemed Thorin was having the same problem because he pulled back a few seconds later.

"Wow, that was...."

"Amazing?"

"For my first kiss?  Absolutely."  There was a knock at the door.

"I'll go see who it is," I sighed, sad that the romantic moment had been broken.

"No, wait.  What if it's Rynry?  This seems like something he would do.  I'll check, remain out of sight."  I ducked into the bathroom and listened as Thorin opened the door.

"Lady Arwen, Tunvan."

"Greetings, Master Thorin.  May we come in?"

It's ok Thorin, they can both come in.

"Yes, of course."  I came out.

"I realize that I never actually said thank you for protecting my sister, so you have my thanks, Thorin Oakenshield.  I ask you to forgive my behavior in the clearing."

"All is forgiven, Tunvan, I myself have a sister and reacted the same way when she said she was getting married."

"But you and Mereniver are not."

"Not yet, Tunvan, but eventually.  Thorin is my soul mate.  As I met him about two weeks ago, it is a little early to think of marriage.  We literally have forever."

"I am glad you have found happiness, Mereniver, but what will you tell our parents?"

"I won't  the dwarves will be here for another two weeks or so and then I will go with them on their quest.  It is not my place to give the details but I won't deny that it is dangerous and it is possible that we won't all come back alive."

"Then why go with them?"

"If Thorin dies, I will die from a broken heart.  Both my blood and tears have healing powers to revive the dead so it would be good for everyone if I went.  Don't tell mom and dad that you found me.  If I survive, then Thorin and I will no doubt be married but before that, I promise to contact you."