Chapter 35

"You WHAT?!" Fenriel shouted at the top of her lungs, "You LOVE him?! Tauriel, how could you?"

"I told you, I love Kili and I can't explain it. Since 'his majesty' banished me, Kili offered me a place with him and as soon as he wakes up, I'm going to tell him that I'll gladly accept his offer."

"Leave us, Mereniver. I need some time to talk alone with my sister." I was about to protest but I look from Tauriel silenced me before the first sound left my lips.

"I'll be with Thorin if either of you want to find me." As soon as I left the room, I could hear shouting in elvish.

I headed back to the healing hall and found it still swamped with dwarves but now, Oin was standing between them and the Durin's beds.

"Oin!" I shouted. Big mistake. All of the dwarves turned towards me and started bombarding me with questions.

"Why did Thorin pick you?"

"What are to him?"

"She's a mermaid, she bewitched him! She just wants to be queen!"

"How could Thorin choose you over both of my daughters?"

"How dare you show your face around here!"

"SILENCE!" Oin boomed, "Ask Thorin those questions and I think most of you heard how he reacted to his own cousin when he asked much of the same questions. She is his One and there is nothing any of you can do about it. Whether you like it or not, she will become your queen one day." This stopped most of the protests but one lone dwarf spoke up.

"You do know he is courting my daughter, right?"

"Doryan? Yes I know, he promised to leave her as soon as he found me."

"Why?"

"Maybe because I'm his One?" I added a hint of sarcasm but no one but Oin picked up on it. The crowd parted for me as I went straight to Thorin's bed and ducked behind the curtain.

He looked like he was just asleep. His eyes were closed and his breathing was steady. His face was relaxed and calm, calmer than I had seen in a long time. I felt like I could just sit here by his side all day watching him and never grow bored but of course, Oin interrupted me after what seemed just a few minutes.

"Mereniver? It's nearly sunset." Suddenly, I remembered my promise to Bard.

"Shoot! I need to go to Dale."

"Wait, for what?" I didn't answer, I didn't have time to. I sprinted up to my room, grabbed Bard's coat, and ran back to the entrance.

"Mereniver! Where do you think you're off to in such a hurry?" I looked back and saw Dori coming my way.

"To Dale, why?"

"You were running like your life depended on it."

"Well, my reputation does. I promised Bard I'd return his coat to him today."

"Will you allow me to accompany you? Thorin would have my head if he ever found out I let you go outside after dark."

"Sure." I slowed my pace so I could catch my breath and Dori could catch up with me. We walked in silence, it seemed neither of us could find anything of interest to talk about. When we got to Dale, the streets were nearly deserted. I headed towards the Great Hall, hoping I would run into Bard on the way. It was more crowded near the center of the city, lights were on inside the houses and there was a small crowd outside the Great Hall.

"So, where do you reckon Bard is?"

"If I had to guess, near the crowd, if not in the middle of it."

"So much for coming and going unseen." Dori mumbled. He was right, our short conversation had drawn the attention of a few people on the outskirts. One of them must've recognized me because he got the attention of as many others as he could.

"The mermaid! She's come back to heal more of our wounded!"

"I'm looking for Bard! Who can tell me where he is?" I shouted loud enough to quiet the multitude of people that had gathered.

"Who's asking?" Bard came out of the center of the crowd, "Ah, Mereniver. I thought for a moment that you had forgotten your promise to return my coat!"

"For a few hours yes." I admitted, "I had a few things to attend to."

"The burden of leadership, I understand. Thank you." I handed him his coat, "But you aren't just burdened with leadership, are you?" I shook my head, "You don't need to tell me what's up but if you ever need a favor, I'll be happy to help you."

The two of us left Dale and returned to the mountain. I headed for the healing hall but Oin stopped me.

"You should sleep in an actual bed tonight, not one of those wooden boards."

"But I was very comfortable last night, these beds are better than the one I slept in back in my village!"

"But the bed in your room is better for you, especially now."

"Fine, what of Fenriel and Tauriel?"

"Fenriel stormed out of Erebor a few hours ago but as far as I know, Tauriel is with Kili again. I didn't have the heart to disturb her. Those two must've had some fallout, she was in tears when she came in."

"Poor thing. I'll check on her tomorrow morning. Wait a moment, don't you need to redress my arms?"

"You have a great memory! To be honest, I forgot about that. Come along."

When he was done with my arm, I went down to where my love lay sleeping.

"Mereniver." Oin warned.

"I know I know, I just want to say goodnight to him." I peaked inside Kili's curtain. Tauriel was laying on a bed that someone had pushed up next to his. Her eyes were puffy and red and the pillow, from what I could see, was wet. She had cried herself to sleep. I made a mental note to give Fenriel an earful the next time I saw her. Thorin hadn't moved since I had seen him last. As silent as a shadow, I walked up next to him and bent down. Leaving a kiss on his forehead, another on his cheek, and a lingering third on his lips.

"Goodnight my love. My heart shall weep until you awaken." For a moment, I thought I say Thorin's lips drift up into the smallest smile but it went away as soon as it happened. I sighed, stroked his cheek one last time, and went to our room. As soon as I opened the door, I shivered. It was freezing! Cursing my lack of firepower, I picked up a pair of stones next to the fireplace that was located next to the bathroom door and started to strike them together. After a good five minutes of getting tiny sparks, I succeeded in lighting a decent-sized fire. Using the mirror in the bathroom to undo my laces as best I could, I shimmied out of the dress and rummaged through Thorin's dresser until I found what I'd been looking for. A dark blue shirt made of silk, possibly what he used to sleep in. I pulled it on and found that it fit just as well as all of his other clothes. Not at all. Shaking my head in grim amusement, I climbed under the frigid sheets and snuggled into his pillow, allowing darkness to cloud my vision and sleep to take over.