Cheating Has It's Price!

Charles Hayes was an avid runner, but he was never particularly fast

Charles Hayes was an avid runner, but he was never particularly fast. He had always dreamed of running a half marathon, but the thought of coming in last place filled him with dread. So when he signed up for the local half marathon, he came up with a plan to cheat.

The race course ran through a dense woodland, and Charles knew of a shortcut that would save him at least a mile. He had scouted it out the day before the race, and it seemed like the perfect plan.

On the day of the race, Charles set out with the rest of the runners. He stuck with the pack for the first few miles, but as they approached the woodland, he slipped away and took the shortcut.

The shortcut took him deeper into the woods than he had anticipated, and he soon found himself in unfamiliar territory. As he ran, he began to feel like he was being watched. The feeling grew stronger the farther he went.

Then, in the distance, he saw a tunnel. It was old and decrepit, but it looked like a shortcut through the woods. Charles didn't think twice and ran through the tunnel.

The moment he entered the tunnel, he felt a cold chill run down his spine. The tunnel was darker than he had anticipated, and he had to slow his pace to avoid tripping over rocks and debris.

That's when he heard a voice whisper, "You shouldn't be here."

Charles froze in his tracks. He looked around, but he saw nothing but darkness. He tried to calm himself down and continued to run, but he couldn't shake the feeling that he was being followed.

As he ran through the tunnel, he started to see things out of the corner of his eye. Shadows moved on the walls, and he heard strange noises coming from the darkness.

Finally, he emerged from the tunnel, and he saw a figure standing in front of him. It was a woman, but she was dressed in old-fashioned clothing, and her face was pale and gaunt.

"Who are you?" Charles asked, his voice shaking.

The woman didn't answer. Instead, she began to float towards him, her eyes fixed on his.

Charles turned to run, but he was too slow. The woman grabbed him by the shoulder and pulled him back.

"You cheated," she whispered in his ear. "Now you must pay the price."

The next morning, the race organizers found Charles's body at the entrance to the tunnel. They assumed he had gotten lost and fallen to his death, but they couldn't explain the strange marks on his shoulders or the look of terror frozen on his face.