The Night Train: A Short Novelette

Chapter 1: The Late Train

Laura Briggs sat on the train, staring out the window as it chugged through the dark countryside. It was a late train, the last one of the night, and she was the only passenger in her car. She had been to London on business and was now on her way home to Nantwich.

As the train passed through the countryside, she couldn't shake the feeling that someone was watching her. She kept seeing shadows move in the darkness outside the window, but when she looked closer, there was nothing there.

"Just my imagination," she muttered to herself.

But the feeling persisted, and Laura couldn't shake the sense of unease that had settled over her. She took out her phone and dialed her boyfriend, John.

"Hey, John," she said when he answered. "I'm on the train home. It's really late and I'm the only one in this car. I just have this feeling that something is following me."

"Don't be silly, Laura," John said. "You're just tired. Try to relax and get some rest."

Laura wanted to believe him, but she couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong.

Chapter 2: The Darkness

The train continued on its journey, the darkness outside growing deeper and deeper. Laura tried to distract herself by reading a book, but she couldn't focus. She kept feeling like something was following her, closing in on her.

Suddenly, the lights in the train car flickered and went out. Laura's heart began to race as she sat in the darkness, surrounded by silence.

"Hello?" she called out, her voice trembling. "Is anyone there?"

There was no answer. Laura was alone in the dark, and she didn't know what was going to happen next. She dialed John's number again, but this time he didn't answer.

Chapter 3: The Pursuit

As the train rolled on, Laura became convinced that something was chasing her. She could hear faint footsteps in the darkness, getting closer and closer. She tried to open the door to the train car, but it was locked.

She was trapped.

Laura's mind raced as she searched for a way out. She heard a voice whispering her name and she knew that whatever was chasing her, was getting closer.

Chapter 4: The Confrontation

Laura's heart was pounding as she heard the voice getting louder and louder. She knew that whatever was chasing her was getting closer. Suddenly, she heard a knock on the door.

"Laura," the voice said. "Open the door."

Laura's body froze, she didn't know what to do. She couldn't move, she couldn't speak. The knock came again, this time more insistently.