Chapter one

TengenUzuiWife 's request

Tanjiro's POV:

I couldn't move to help Mister Rengoku. He was fighting for his life and ours with Upper Moon 3. And as he was about to send the final blow through Rengoku's chest, killing him, he stopped. His fist, inches away from him, he could have killed him right there.

What's going on? Why did he stop? He looks scared, or... hesitant.

Then as the Upper 3's guard was down, Rengoku took his chance and swung his sword to his neck. The demon snapped back to reality and dropped to the floor, dodging the blow. He did a backflip to get to his feet and ran away.

Rengoku stood there heavily breathing and I rushed to him despite my own injurys.

"RENGOKU? STAY WITH ME!" I screamed and looked around franticly then yelled to Inosuke "INOSUKE, GO GET HELP, HURRY!"

He was in shock of what just happened, but nodded and ran to find someone.

As Rengoku was slowing the flow of blood out of his wounds he said, "Why did he leave?"

I just shook my head, "I don't know..."

Akaza's POV:

I ran and did not stop running. I don't know what I'm doing, why couldn't I kill that Hashira? What made me hesitant? I could've killed him and all those other demon slayers!!! But.. why couldn't I?

I had to get to Muzan. But, what will he do when he finds out I didn't kill him? I can't tell him the truth, but I can't lie to him. So what do I do?

I got into the Infinity Castle, not knowing if Muzan would be there or not, I started running around looking for him.

I felt like I've been running forever, I can't get that Hashira out of my head! All the wounds he dealt to me are healed, he didn't stab me in the chest, but why do I feel this affliction over my heart.

As I was running Muzan just appeared out of nowhere and I skidded to stop right before I crashed into him.

"What brings you here, Akaza." Muzan stared into my eyes.

I bowed before him, not saying a word.

"The Flame Hashira still lives, why is that?" It was more rhetorical than curious, I knew I shouldn't say anything.

"I sent you there to dispose of that demon slayer and you did not complete the task." He breathed down my neck.

"Did I overestimate you? Shall I send another demon in to finish the job?"

"No! I-I can do it." I stuttered, "It was too close to day break and I knew I wasn't going to have the time to finish the job."

He just glared at me, not saying anything.

"If I just have one more night I know I can bring you his head!" I shouted, "I won't let you down!"

"You already have. And if you wanna keep your rank as Upper 3 then you'll have to do better than that."

"I understand, I'll kill the Hashira no matter what." I bowed again and was ready to leave when Muzan then looked into my eyes again.