f o u r

it had been months.

mr shelby hadn't returned in months, his business concluded of something awful which landed him in hospital he didn't want to see charlie,, thought it would upset him which in turn caused the young boy to become ten times clingier, not wanting to be parted from the woman, so she'd agreed with frances that she'd take up the room next to the master bedroom and move charlie's bed into there having to stay with him else he'd be screaming bloody murder all night long if not although unlike when his mother passed he didn't call out for his father he just cried and cried until last night he wasn't used to tommy tending to him as often as lola did but the unexplainable disappearance of his father confused him none the less.

now that mr shelby had finally returned not much changed, she'd tried to get them to spend as much time together as possible but it wasn't working thomas had arrived back the afternoon before, they'd eat together but charlie didn't speak he'd returned to being awfully quiet.

"he asked for you last night, for the first time since his mother, he asked for you not her" lola spoke as she sat down at the dining table pulling out the chair next to thomas for the little boy "he missed me" the man spoke ignoring the food opting for a cigarette instead.

"did you take your medicine, i'm under strict instructions from frances to make sure.

and in true tommy fashion he ignore the question "do you ever read the bible lola?" he questioned "no mr shelby i do not" she replied feeding the child his breakfast confused at his random change of subject.

"so you don't read it aloud, naked, standing next to my bed?" he asked the shocked woman "cus when i take the morphine the doctor gave me that's all i bloody see, that's what you do, i'm wide awake but you're standing there naked plain as day, reading from the book of the leviticus." he spoke taking drags of his cigarette whist he does, looking at the pretty young woman next to him "do you want to know what happens next, lola?" she asked leaning towards her watching her face blush "we fuck, against the fucking fireplace, i 'ave you over the mantle, and i don't know if i could control me self keep seeing those images, love, so i pored the medicine away" he spoke getting up, taking charlie with him in his way leaving the woman alone sitting in her seat stunned what the bloody fuck is he on about.

would it be so bad? she thought to herself as she as she made her way back to her bedroom, she had a few hours to herself now.

the image stuck in her head as she sat back on her bed thinking about what tommy had just said, it was erotic no? in a weird sort of way interesting almost.

🌧

they celebrated his return, all of em in the main room all of the shelbys and their wives and some faces she didn't know, it was late now and charlie had gone to sleep.

"take the bloody bottle in stop standing there like a fool" one of the other maids shouted at lola as she stood motionless watching the moon from the window.

grabbing the bottle from the woman's hand with a sigh she walked her way over to the room, slipping in quietly. She wasn't in the mood to work, it was hazels day off the only other woman that would speak to her apart from a new maid, angelina.

hazel spoke about her plans she said something about going dancing with her boyfriend, this sent lola spiralling, stupid sure but was it really her fault she felt like a prisoner  in here, not only did she live here, spend 99.9% of her time in the house but now her bedroom was a workspace too, was she missing out on the most important years of her life?.

"oi over here love, fill me up" arthur's charismatic voice shook her from her thoughts she didn't smile today instead she walked over poured him a drink and moved on to the next shelby lad asking for a drink.