Chapter 1

"Mommy! Daddy! The feathers tickle!" Screamed a little girl of ten. The large yellow bird, known as a Chocobo, rubbed its face against hers.

Smiling parents stood by, giggling at their excited daughter. "Does it, sweetie?" The mother asked, leaning down to her.

"Can I tickle it back?" She asked, smoothing her tiny hands through the large feathers.

"No, honey. But, I think it would like a scratch by the neck." The father suggested.

The little girl looked up, reaching her arm as high as she could to reach the neck. The bird noticed her struggle, it crouched down and lowered its neck for her to reach. She scratched it gently as she continued the Chocobo's head rose up, a purring sound vibrate from it's throat. The little girl's shoulders shook as she giggled, her shoulder length pine green hair bounced about.

"Mommy! Listen! It's purring like a cat!" She ran over to her mom, as the Chocobo stood and wandered off with a small herd by the pens.

The mother, with a darker shade of hair than her daughter's, picked her up hugging her close. "It really likes you, Lexi." She told, as the daughter blushed. "You'd want to be a Chocobo Breeder, right honey?"

"Hm-hm." The mother raised a brow at her daughter's answer. She put her down as Lexus ran around the grounds. "I want to be a famous Chocobo Racer! Just like daddy!" Her big bright blue eyes sparkled.

The father gave a hearty laugh, "That's my girl!" taking his daughter and sitting her on his shoulder.s She gripped his blond hair as he ran around, bouncing his daughter about like she was riding a Chocobo. She laughed loudly, gaining people's attention who smiled at her.

"The Duscae Chocobo Cup race is about to begin!" Came over a voice on the speakers. "Racers get your birds ready and take your spot at the starting gates!"

They all stopped, the father smiled as his race was coming up. His daughter bounced again, "Daddy that's your cue- as mommy would say." She laughed, her father chuckled.

"Yup, want to wish Ferris good luck?" He asked lifting him off and placing her on the ground. Lexus nodded and took in lead to the jockey's pens.

Varin Quintin was a top Chocobo racer of all of Lucis, winning races and making top breaking records with his steed Ferris. He grew up in Duscae spending his teen years working at a Chocobo post, shoveling stalls, feeding birds, and training one he grew fond of to become the number one Chocobo racer. Winning his first race at seventeen, he met the love of his life and his future was set.

At the gates, jockey's approached and soothed their birds getting them ready for the race. Varin held his wife's hand as their daughter went over to the end gate where a bright red Chocobo stood with its saddle and reins set on it. The bird fidgeted at his owner's arrival and lowered his head nuzzling against Lexus.

"H-h-hi Ferry!" She giggled petting his peak and scratched his head. "Good luck in the race, boy!"

Ferris stretched his neck in the air letting out an excited cry, and shifted left and right in his small gate. Varin pulled a pair of goggles over his head and placed them over his eyes, around his neck was a black feather chained to a necklace. He knelt down to Lexus and she kissed his cheek with good luck. She spotted the necklace, and touched the soft feather.

"Daddy?"

"Yes, sweetheart?"

"Did you get this feather from a real black chocobo?" She asked, tilting her head.

He chuckled and stood, "Of course I did, I've told you the story almost one hundred times." Varin climbed over the gate and mounted his Chocobo. Adjusting himself and taking the reins he jokingly took a heroic pose. "It's my secret weapon. You're father will win and make it to the Lucis Royal Prix!"