20: Be Honest With Me

Start from the beginning

Johansson and his big mouth. Why'd he have to go and tell Alex what was going on?

"It's fine, Lex. I'll find another way." I gave a heavy sigh. I was going to come up with a way to set up my restaurant whether my father liked it or not.

"I'll help." Lex proposed and I shook my head, declining.

"You don't have to. I've got it handled."

"I want to become an investor in your restaurant."

"Lex—"

"Before you say you don't need my charity, I'll tell you that I'm not investing as a friend but someone who sees prospect in your business. Your mind is magic and your hands are magic, mate. You've saved dozens of businesses that were about to go bankrupt, you're a business genius, you're a computer genius and you're the best bloody cook out there in the world. I believe in you and if I don't support you when you need me the most, I'll be a bloody bastard."

I was touched by Lex's kind words. Man could've brought me to tears if he said any more.

"You haven't even had my cooking." I chuckled.

"What do you mean? You made me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich when we were thirteen. It was mad good, bruv. If your cooking is any better than that, you'll be a hit. Trust me."

I couldn't help but crack up. Lex always knew how to get me out of a dump. He was the one person I could rely on. Everyone else had cut me off once the news that I'd been disowned got out.

"I'll hook you up with some people that can make things happen. Don't stress about it." Lex promised and for the first time in weeks, I felt hope.

"A'ight. Thanks, blood. I appreciate it." I thanked him gratefully. Maybe there was a way out of this after all.

"Bless."

*

A week of meetings and empty promises had gone by. I had met up a few people that Alex had hooked me up with but a couple of them had demanded higher percentages in my restaurant's profits and others had made empty promises that they never followed through.

Alex, however, had made good on his promise and had wired me twenty million naira. It was a great start and I was indeed grateful to him. I had been motivated by his investment to work even harder to make things happen.

"I like it." Archibald Nwosu nodded, looking impressed as I finished my pitch. He took the last bite of the creme brulee I had made him amongst the three course French meal I had prepared for him to showcase my cooking skills. "You really are an amazing cook, Derrek. I am impressed."

Archibald Nwosu was the owner of Nwosu's, one of the top Nigerian restaurants. He owned a chain of restaurants all across the country, including bars.

Alex had pulled some strings to get me a meeting with him and his secretary had set up a meeting for today.

Archibald was known for his generous investments in startups and if he invested in my business, majority of my problems were going to be solved. Even better, my father had no influence over him. This meeting could have been the breakthrough I'd been looking for and from the impressed look on Archibald's face, things were looking good.

"Thank you, Sir."

"I would love to invest in your restaurant." He said and my heart was filled with glee. This was it.

"Thank you, Sir." I said in gratitude.

"I have a few terms and conditions though." He said and the smile was instantly wiped off my face. Everytime an investor said they had terms and conditions, it was nothing good.