Illiterate - Prologue

Aanchal and Vaansh sat on the stage next to each other, their jaws hurting from all the smiling they had to do.

"Yeh toh bohot mushkil kaam hai Vaansh. Pata nahi bhai ne itni badi reception kyun rakhi!" Aanchal huffs as she tries to shuffle in her seat. Vaansh laughs before fixing her hair.

(This is too difficult Vaansh. I don't know why bhai organised such a big reception.)

"Aare haan, you were telling me about a childhood friend of yours! Kya naam that uska. . . . .Ahhh haan Siya. Woh nahi aayi kya?"

(Oh yes. . . . . .Ahhh yes, Siya. Is she not here?_

Vaansh smiles at her, before replying, "uska cousin, Ravi job se jab wapis aayega. Tab uske saath aayi gi. I told you about her taya and tayi. Ravi ke saamne kuch nahi kehte, that's why he'll be able to bring her here."

(When her cousin Ravi returns from his work, then she will come with him. I told you about her taya and tayi. They don't say anything in front of Ravi, that's why he'll be able to bring her here.)

"I hope jaldi aa jaye. Woh tumse 5 saal choti hai na! But jo tum bata rahe ho, I can't wait to meet her. She sounds so sweet!"

(I hope she gets here soon. She's five years younger than you tihgt! But from what your telling me I can't wait to meet her. She sounds so sweet!"

And just then a girl clad in light blue Anarkali makes her way through the crowd with her cousin tailing behind.

"Aaram se chalo, Siya."

(Walk slowly, Siya.)

"Ravi bhahiya aapko pata hai na tayi ji ne kaha tha ki do ganthe main ghar pohunchna hai. Half an hour toh yahan aane mein lag gaya."

(Ravi bhai, you know tayji said to come back in two  hours. And it already took us half an hour to get here.)

Ravi shakes his head at the brown haired girl as she makes her way over to the stage.

"Siya! You made it. Mein bohot khush hun ki tum aayi." Vaansh says when she sees the dainty girl before looking behind her, "Hi Ravi! Kaisa hai?"

(Siya! You made it. I'm very happy you're here." 

"Hi Ravi! How are you?)

Vaansh introduces his wife to his childhood bestie and Aanchal immediately falls in love with her.
"Oh God! Tum pehle milti toh tumse hi shaadi kr leti mein! You're such a cute little munchkin."

(If I had found you earlier, I would have married you!)

Vaansh's parents come over to greet Ravi and Siya before Siya tells them she needs to leave and get home. Ravi tries his best to keep her calm, but her tayiji's wrath keeps flashing in front of her eyes. The group seems to understand her turmoil which is why Vaansh's mother says, "Chalo ek baar Aanchal ki maa aur bhai ko millo, phir chali jaana."

(Come, meet Aanchal's mother and brother once, and then you can leave.)

Damini watches the soft, sweet little girl make her way over to her with Vaansh and Aanchal, she gazes at the young girl fiddle with her fingers and gazes back at the person she's come with.