Chapter 34

Charlie

My mind felt hazy learning all of the information that Rowan could tell me. Mateo was nowhere close to the man I had come to know in the past few months. He was a monster in sheep's clothing, and I couldn't believe I was so stupid to believe him.

"Are you okay?" Rowan asked.

I shook my head in response. "My mate is out there with someone who probably wants him dead and would see to it that it happens. Presley was going to tell him that he is getting sent to a new pack." My voice strained.

"It'll be okay. He's a good alpha," Rowan responded, putting his arm on my shoulder.

"How would you know?" I looked at him in his bright red eyes.

"Any alpha that accepts rogues in their pack when medical help is needed is a good alpha," Rowan replied.

"He is a great alpha." I beamed, but it didn't take long for the smile to fall off my face.

"What are you doing in here?" I could hear my brother growl. My head snapped toward the door. My brother stood there, his form was stiff, and he was fuming. "Those people are rogues. Are you mad?" His voice was powerful, and I knew he was using his alpha tone to make me back down.

The sadness I had evaporated in a millisecond. "Just because they're rogues doesn't mean they don't deserve kindness. They just experienced a trauma." I walked toward my brother. "And don't you dare talk to me like that with your alpha tone." I poked my finger into his chest.

Karsen didn't respond to me. He just stared at the rogue wolf behind me, unmoving.

"Did you hear me?" I jabbed my finger deeper into his chest.

When he didn't respond to me again, I turned my head to look behind me at Rowan. His eyes were looking directly into Karsen's. A look of shock took over his features. They didn't move, and they just stood there. They didn't look like they were going to rip each other's heads off. If anything, Karsen seemed to relax just a bit.

"Hello?" I waved my hand in front of Karsen's face, snapping him out of the trance he was in.

"Go to your room." He demanded.

"What? So you can go all big macho alpha on them? No, thank you. I'm not leaving until you leave." I crossed my arms, locking my jaw, trying to make myself look more dominant than I ever would be.

"Brother, just go to your–" I put my hand up, showing him that I would keep firm on my words.

"I will not." I bore my eyes into his.

"Please." He almost begged, and I noticed his anger had simmered down.

"Nope." I lifted my chin as if I were going to start a fight with him.

"Karsen is the name?" Rowan's voice was now right behind me, almost making me jump out of my slippers.

Karsen nodded, "And yours?" My brother responded softly.

"Rowan." He held his hand out for my brother.

"Are you a dominant wolf? I mean, were you?" Karsen asked.

"I used to be the alpha of my pack." He nodded. "I guess I didn't fit in with the societal norm, you could say."

"I guess I can see why." My brother furrowed his brows.

I blinked a few times and shook my head. "Can you enlighten me why you're not trying to fight him anymore?" I asked. Karsen ignored me and continued.

"So you two are my mates?" Karsen pointed to Rowan and Erin. "What is the omega's name?"