"I'm just saying. But anyway, what's she like? What do you like about her?"

"Well . . . she's tough. And I mean, genuinely tough. She's loyal and kind. She makes me laugh. She's a hard worker and cares about her pa—employees." I cough a little, scratching my neck. "She makes me feel special, ya know?"

Bella pads over to me and wraps her arms around me. "Good. I'm glad you're happy."

Just as I hug her back, Mom calls us from downstairs. We pull apart and I meet my sister's eyes.

I notice for the first time that there's something about her, something in her eyes, that instantly makes me sad. Before I can ask what's wrong, she blushes and grabs my hand.

"Come on, shrimp. Let's go eat dinner. I'm famished."

Lenora is already sitting at the table beside my father once we reach the kitchen. My mother smiles, noticing our linked hands.

"You two made up fast," she remarks, setting a casserole dish on the center of the table.

I gulp but Bella just shrugs.

"Can I help with anything, Mom?" I ask.

"Nope. You can sit down next to Lenora there. Your father is going to say grace."

I plop into the chair beside Lenora's who instantly lays her hand on top of my thigh. My muscles stiffen.

When I glance up, Bella is smirking at us. I narrow my eyes warningly.

"Let's bow our heads," says my father.

We all bow our necks but I glance over at Lenora. I hope this doesn't make her uncomfortable.

I'm not religious but I didn't consider how it might make her feel. I wonder what she believes, if anything?

Lenora squeezes my thigh and smiles briefly as if she can feel my gaze on her profile. She keeps her eyes closed until my father says, "Amen."

Bella grabs the casserole dish and begins heaping the yummy-looking food onto her plate.

"So," my father starts, "what is it you do for a living, Lenora?"

The color drains from my face. Lenora's voice comes calmly and confidently. And its richness makes my thighs quiver.

"I run a private equity firm, sir."

"Oh, wow," my mother chirps.

"What's that?" asks Bella.

Lenora smiles, accepting the dish from my sister. "My company invests in other companies, more or less."

"Very interesting," says my father. "Where'd you go to school?"

"I never went to college, actually. I'm mostly self-taught, though I've had mentors."

"And that does enough to support you?"

"Dad!" I hiss, shooting him a look.

"I'm just curious," he tuts. "I'm not asking what her income is."