Chapter 2 - Cherry Pie

TW: none

****************

America laid a white and red picnic style cloth over the cherry pie. He saw Australia on the couch watching cartoons and told him he was going to the neighbors. 

"If dad comes home from the grocery store early tell him I'm probably just talking to the neighbor or at Mexico's." America said before shutting the front door and making his way to the front door of the mysterious man. He didn't know if the neighbor would be up at this time but hopefully he was. 

America knocked on the door, and as if in an instant, the man opened it. "Good morning. As a welcome to the neighborhood, here's some pie." America took the cloth off the pie to reveal it to the man. 

The man's tired, grungy eyes suddenly lit up and his thick dark eyebrows made a confused yet surprised expression. He took the pie into his own hands and examined it. 

"So, uh," America felt small under the man, something he rarely experienced. "What's your name? Where'd you come from?" 

The man gave a blank stare to America. Then he spoke for the first time. "Russia. I moved from the..." He looked away, unsure. "the other part of town..?" 

America smiled, "neat! I'm United States of America, USA for short but you can just call me America. I've always lived here, same neighborhood, same house, same everything." America giggled. "How old are you? I'm seventeen-" 

"America! New Zealand wants chicken nuggets!" Australia yelled while peeking out of the front door of their house.

America sighed and gave Russia an apologetic smile before leaving to help with his sibling. Like the last time, Russia watched him go back to his home. Once inside, America made chicken nuggets for his brother and sister and decided to play videogames with his best friend Canada. They played for awhile until Canada got off to do chores. By this time, UK was back from the store and began making dinner. 

America decided to go outside in his backyard and pick the vegetables from the garden for his father. He put on gloves and began with the pumpkins since it was autumn. He put the other goods in a wicker basket. While he was gathering all the foods to take inside, a ball rolled up to him. America threw the ball hard at the fence, hoping to hear a satisfying thud. However, it went into the neighbors yard. "Shit!" He whisper-yelled. 

Quickly, he ran inside and gave his father all the vegetables and goods and quickly said he needed to do something. He ran up to Russia's door and knocked. Russia answered immediately and America explained his situation. "I accidentally threw a ball in your yard, could I get it?" 

The man stared blankly for a minute, "sure." 

America walked through Russia's home to get to the door. Oddly, there was no real furniture out besides a table, no chairs or anything. The house had no lights on either. In fact, it looks like no one has even lived here. America got out into the yard and found the ball laying in the corner of the fenced in yard. The grass of the yard was very long and unkept. So much so that America had a hard time walking in it. Once he retrieved his ball, Russia was standing by the door, watching with a death stare. 

"Have you mowed your lawn at all?" America stood at the door beside Russia, "Because if you want, I could mow it for you tomorrow after school." 

Russia looked surprised. His eyes squinted like he was thinking before responding, "I suppose you can. Just don't go anywhere you're not supposed to."

America agreed and went back home. He ate dinner and washed his dishes. He got ready for school and texted all his friends goodnight. Before going to bed though, he glanced out his window at the neighbor. There was just something about him that made America afraid yet intrigued. He noticed all the lights were off besides this moving yellow light that would faintly shine from the windows from time to time.

"What is he up to?"

*********************** 

Some foreshadowing next chapter.

Word count: 697