She went through a lot and I know I don't want to treat her as if she was fragile because first, she isn't and second no one wants that but sometimes I worry I might trigger something of her past. I can't help but think about the things Mason might have done to her and if maybe my behavior could get her back to those days. Maybe I should share this, let her know about my fears. Open up.

"I worry you know, that maybe my actions can... trigger something," I whisper scared about her reaction.

Her face falls and for a second I think that I shouldn't have brought this up, that I just fucked it all up. This is about her, her past.

"I'm sorry I shouldn't have said that-"

"No, no it's okay." This time she is the one to put her hand over me but my chest instead of my shoulder. "I'm glad you brought it up, let's sit down." She points to the black leather sofa against the wall.

Nodding she walks away first and once she sits down I follow sitting close to her but not too close. And then after a few seconds of silence, she speaks.

"It took me about two years to be able to be intimate with someone after what happened with Mason. It was with one of my classmates, nothing more than sex and it was really difficult at first, I had always liked it a little rough, and well the first few weeks were tough. But the guy I was with, he was patient, he knew very little about what happened to me but he was careful. I did have some flashbacks then but eventually, it got better." She breathes out and I just stare not daring to speak. "Physically I was finally able to make a connection but not emotionally, which is what truly scared me... I couldn't until... you." She gets closer her hand over my thigh. "As I have already told you, you were the first man after Mason that I felt safe with on every level, intimately and emotionally. Before you, I could have sex sure but it was different, it didn't mean anything I was just a participant. When I'm with you it's more than that, I feel safe and wanted and I just see you, I won't say that I would never get triggered because the brain works in strange ways but as of now, it's just you, and I. I don't feel used, I like what we are doing and I understand your situation, I know there are some things you wish you could do differently but I don't need them, the way you are right now it's enough for me."

It takes me a while to process everything she just said. To understand what those words make me feel but once I do I can finally breathe again. It all makes sense right there, that she is made for me and I'm made for her. Two broken people finding the piece that's left in one another. I wish I could tell her this, be as good with words as she is but I can't not yet. So I show her how much she means to me, how much I trust her in the only way I can think of.

"I think I'm ready to start trying with the prosthetics." I let it out. "If it's you who is standing by my side."

Her whole face lights up and even if for some people this might feel like it's nothing for me —for us, it means the world. If I'm able to do this is mostly because of her, it's me finally understanding that my leg is gone and that it will never be back. It would be me being able to do a normal life again, be somehow closer to the man she truly deserves.

"Are you sure?" She tries to hide her excitement, act professionally but I can still catch it.

"I'm sure." I move closer and take her face between my hands. "I want to be able to stand up on my own again without crutches, to walk by your side, to pick you up and hold you in my arms for as long as I can. Bring you to bed in bridal style or stand beside you while you teach me how to cook." I whisper our faces a few inches away.

"To dance with me?" She asks her eyes not leaving me.

"To do everything with you." I nod bringing her closer and kissing her forehead. "I want to try and be the man you deserve, Mia."

"You already are that man, I want you just the way you are Carlos. I need you to believe that." She hugs me her arms tight around my back and her face buried in my neck.

Only if she knew.

"I'm not Mia, not yet but I will be. I promise." I don't let of her hugging her tighter.

I'm not perfect not in the slightest, there's so much stuff she doesn't know so much stuff that would instantly change the way she thinks of me. So many battles I have yet to win to be the kind of person she deserves but for the first time in years I have something worth fighting for and I would do everything in my hand to get there.

"Okay." She nods her head still buried in my neck. "I will call Hunter, tell him the news."

"Yeah, good idea." I let go of her and it feels as if I'm letting go of a part of me.

"Wait here, maybe we can do something later. Watch a movie? Or do you have work to do?" She asks taking her phone out of her pocket and walking towards the door.

I do have work a lot actually but it can wait. "Of course. I'm free for today." I nod standing up and going to get my phone.

"Perfect, I will be back." She smiles walking backward.

"Mia." I call for her and she stops.

"What's wrong?" Her smile makes everything harder.

I should to tell her but I'm a coward. "Don't take long." I say instead.

"I won't." She answers excitedly before disappearing.

And once I'm sure she is far enough I go to my emails and check the one email I needed to get distracted from. The one I have been ignoring until today. It's accompanied by some documents and a simple text.

Mason's hearing will happening next Thursday, expect it to be all over the news. If you haven't told her yet it might be time.

Two days, I have two days.

Author's note

As always if you are here ty for reading and don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts!

Our boy is nervous af but I mean who wouldn't he is hiding some stuff... drama.

I felt like it was necessary to address Mia's situation again to see how she worked through her trauma that's the reason I brought it up.

Stuff is going so well now but obviously drama is coming. Get ready... stuff will change.

Ly all,
Maria