XII

Ciaran

Ciaran

Distracting:
Preventing concentration or diverting attention.

Yes, Mireya is distracting.

It was everything about her. Everything that made her who she was. All of it drew him in towards her and left his mind a mess of thoughts.

It started with little moments in the library.

Try as he may, his eyes would always be drawn to her. He was convinced she was more distracting than the throne. The voices that whispered to him couldn't compare to the effects of her mere presence.

It was the way her hand rested on her cheek as she thumbed through the pages of a book. It was the way her hair would get in her way as she read. It was the way the air got knocked from his chest each time she raised her eyes to look at him and made him feel like he was worth her attention.

Reading with her nearby was impossible. He would always end up trying to get her attention and talk to her. For someone who hadn't spoken to another in years, Ciaran hoped he did not bother or bore her.

His only confirmation that he didn't do so was the wonder in her eyes. Whenever he would start talking about a faraway country he had visited once, he could see the glint in her eyes. It was clear to see that she enjoyed exploring. He wished he could take her to these places, but it was unlikely to ever happen.

The more time he spent with her, the more guilt he felt eating away at him. He promised to help her find a way back. Soon enough, she will grow tired of the lonely castle halls and want to leave. She will demand him to take her back to the nightmare and he will have to comply.

He had no right in wanting her to stay there with him. This solitude was his own doing. He had to live with it.

After weeks of research, he found something. Something that just might work in reuniting her soul with her body, and he considered keeping the discovery to himself.

It was unlikely that it would work. Would it even be worth it to tell her?

The rational side of his mind knew the answer, but he decided to make his own.

It is too early to tell. Maybe a few more weeks of research and I will inform her.

He walked into the library, knowing she'd be there, and prepared himself to ask her to dinner. He felt the exact moment her eyes came to land on him. His eyes preferred to land on the book she was reading so he wouldn't forget the words he needed to tell her if he stared at her beautiful face for too long.

He did wonder why she had grown so attached to that book. It was one in a language he didn't think she understood, but perhaps she was interested in learning it. If she was, he was more than willing to help teach her.