Chapter Six

A/N: Thank you for 300 Reads, I would greatly appreciate it if you could share the book with your friends!!!

Bennett's Pov

I spent the day at school in a daze, and all I could think about was the way Thomas left my place last evening. I kept looking at the script I'd shown him, trying to figure out what could've sent him running like that.

Was it about the sinners? Did I give him existential crises about his morality? I couldn't know, and all I thought about was how nothing seemed worth it anymore.

Horton tried to call me to complain about his suspension, but I ignored it each time. I passed by Elliot a lot and couldn't find the energy to acknowledge him, much less bother him on his fraying 4th-grade plaid sweater. Did he not have clothes to wear?

I could feel Maude's eyes on me, as if she knew something but decided to stay silent. Were she and Thomas close? She looked really apologetic.

First period went by, and I'd texted Thomas a few times by then. Nothing too dramatic, I just asked if he was all right. He'd read my messages but wasn't responding.

Was he not affected at all? Because I could hardly eat dinner last night. It just felt like my heart was uneasy and on the verge of sinking to my stomach. I'd only ever felt that when I knew dad was angry at me, and I wondered what I'd done wrong to make him react like that.

The bell rang for lunch. I wasn't sure if I was hungry, but I was itching for a smoke. I made my way to the roof and checked if the coast was clear before lighting up a cigarette.
"Can't catch a break from you, can I?"
I turned to see Maude sitting on top of the water tank, peering through the smoke that billowed from her mouth. I only rolled my eyes and turned away.

"You can go elsewhere if you're bothered."
She hummed, "Not feeling like yourself these days, I suppose."

Shaking my head, I turned away and leaned over the ledge to look down at the schoolyard. The wind carried up the sound of laughter, light chatter, and some music. It was strange to see people interact with each other the way they did like it was so easy. As if they never had a problem with each other. How did people make friends and stay? What did they talk about and what did they do together?

Did any of it even matter?

"How are you and Elliot even friends?" I said finally. "It doesn't make sense."

"Why?"

"You're not similar in any way."

Maude cackled. "What the fuck are you on? He and I are practically twins in nature. And even if we weren't, it doesn't mean we couldn't be friends still."

"You're social and can get along with anyone," I said pointedly. "Elliot can hardly talk to anyone without peeing his pants."

"Hey!" she snapped. "He's just introverted, okay? The only reason I seem social is because I'm actually nice to everyone."