Chapter Five

Elliot's Pov

The incident at school got Horton suspended for a week. It was odd to be sitting in the principal's office the next morning as Horton's parents came in to discuss the situation. My dad couldn't make it, and it was me against three adults plus a deranged classmate. He glared daggers at me, daring me to get him in trouble. I hadn't hit him back for nothing, so I decided to be honest about it all. Horton's parents tried defending him but their son's record and my dishevelled state spoke for itself.

I was a little surprised when the administration took my side on the matter until I was sent to the school counsellor later.

"Do you think you behaved out of character, Elliot?" Dr Giles asked kindly. I gritted my teeth and blinked at him.

"I was being needlessly bothered. It was self-defence."

"Yes but..." he went through a folder with my name on it, "it's the first time you've reacted to it."

I scoffed. "So, you guys knew what was going on this whole time?"

"Now, now. We only know this because it's what yesterday's investigation revealed," he said calmly and put the folder away. "How long has Horton been mistreating you?"

"Bullying me," I corrected him. "It's been a few years, although it's not as bad as before now. Not until yesterday, at least."

"I suppose it's more of a rivalry?"

"I did not ask to be a part of it!"

Dr Giles put his hands up defensively, but it only made me feel more enraged. Why was he making it all seem lighter than it really was? It was unfair to see him sugar-coating Horton's behaviour like that.

"There seems to be a misunderstanding here, Elliot," he said. "I'm not aware of any reports you've made towards Horton in the past, and students have noted you stand up for yourself pretty well. I would've expected for the matter to be taken up with the administration if it was so serious."

"I didn't have proof."

Dr Giles seemed to have lost whatever sentence he was formulating in his head. He was left licking his teeth, eyes flitting around before finally closing his mouth and leaning back in his chair. He nodded slowly and picked a pen to run over his notepad.

"I'm sorry we couldn't protect you back then," he said carefully. "The only reason you're here is because the teachers are concerned about you."

That didn't make sense at all.

"I'm doing well in all my classes and tests," I asserted in annoyance. "There's nothing to be concerned about."

"No, it's certainly not about grades," he agreed. "I was informed of a bereavement in your family as of late. We felt it would be wise to check up on you."

I finally loosened into my seat and breathed deeply. "I guess that's fair," I said quietly. "I mean, I guess I'm all right. Honestly, it was about time I stood up for myself instead of hiding behind my mum, you know? I mean...puberty, right?"

He raised a brow at me but didn't refute anything. "Your mum set Horton straight?"
"She was the sports coach, Horton and Bennett were scared she'd get them banned off the field for good if things got out of hand. It didn't really stop them, but I know they could've been worse."

"Bennett as well," he nodded and wrote on his pad. "Did they ever hit you before?"

I shook my head. "It was more psychological. Taking my stuff, putting them in places I couldn't reach, using my phobias against me."

"I doubt you have a lot."

"Plenty," I sighed. "The dark, heights, drowning. God knows how many I've still to figure out."