...

"You are going." Jenny stated in a sad voice while packing my bag.

"Hopefully." I whispered, not wanting to jinx it. "But don't worry. I will call you."

"I don't have a phone." She pouted.

"Oh. I will call you on Jason's phone. Don't worry." I said.

"Okay." She got excited all of sudden. "What will you do there?" She asked.

Her question made me ponder. There was a high chance that I might be fired from my job. I hardly have any friends, my only family had died and my boyfriend had dumped me. So what will I really do back home?

No. That's Stockholm Syndrome talking.

Any place would be better than here. And most importantly, I would be free. Nobody would be tracking my each and every move. I would be free to leave the house, go to a cafeteria or a book shop, apply for jobs, work, date, and be with my friends. There won't be a criminal breathing down my neck.

"I am going downstairs. I need to say goodbye to Jason in case he isn't here early tomorrow morning." I said.

Leaving her there, I went downstairs and to my misfortune, I came across the Miller brothers having dinner.

"Woods, sit down. Have dinner with us." Lucas was the one who called me.

"I am not hungry." I replied with a stern face. "I just wanted to say goodbye to Jason."

"Don't I deserve a goodbye too?" He asked.

Giving him a sharp, fake smile, I sat down on the chair in front of her. Sean was silent, focused on slicing his steak. Lucas on the other hand, propped his elbows on the table and was staring at me without blinking.

"Goodbye Lucas. You will be missed." I said, obviously lying. "Is that what you wanted?"

"Yeah but you know what, I won't miss you at all. You have been nothing but a troublemaker since you stepped inside this house." He said and I rolled my eyes.

"Can't a man eat in peace here?" Sean said before our argument could continue.

"Ask your brother. He seems to be obsessed with me." I said to irk Lucas. "Maybe he likes me."

"Unless you have a dick, that seems like a distant possibility." He said and my eyes widened when I understood what he meant by that.

"You... You're.... Wow." I didn't know what to say. Lucas was the last person I assumed would be gay.

"Don't look so surprised. I can still kill you with both eyes closed." He said and stood up to leave.

Once he had left, I looked at Sean. "Are you gay too?"

You have no filter, have you, Penelope Woods.

He cast me an annoyed glance at this. "Unless you want me to give you a demonstration of my sexuality, don't ask such questions." His answer made me gulp.

"Whatever." I said and walked into the kitchen.

Jason was flipping the steak when he noticed me walk in. He was the one who used to bring me breakfast every morning when I had locked myself in the room. After Jenny, he was the second person I had warmed to during my stay here. He was funny and insightful, with a keen interest in cooking and a dream of opening his own restaurant one day. I loved listening to him talk and it might be possible that I had developed a little crush on him as well.

"So you are leaving tomorrow." He said.

"Yes." I nodded.

He turned off the stove and walked over to me. "You know I'll miss you but it's best you leave. This place isn't for you. And may you find the truth behind your father's death."

"And may all your dreams get fulfilled! Don't forget to call me." I said and standing on my toes, pecked his cheek. It caught him off guard and a corner of his lips lifted into a charming smile.

Someone cleared his throat behind me and both of us got alerted. It was Sean, with a frown etched on his face as if someone had stolen his candy. "Go to your room and check if you have packed everything." He ordered.

"Jenny is doing it." I said.

"Jenny is not paid to do your packing." He said angrily and I felt embarrassed all of sudden. "Go."

He was definitely bipolar. One minute, he was all quiet and mysterious. The next minute, he was an obnoxious prick. Then again, what else would you expect from a killer?

"Jerk." I huffed and walked past him, mumbling angrily under my breath.

I climbed the stairs and reached my bedroom. Jenny had packed everything, given I didn't have much except some clothes. I stacked the suitcase against the wall and changed into my pajamas. Knowing well that it was hopefully my last night here, I lay down on the bed and counted backwards until sleep engulfed me.

*****