Every emotion—fear, hurt, love, and relief—was gone in an instant, making Clara think she imagined it all. She blinked and a different Holly stood in front of her as if she was carved from stone, looking like a real person but unfeeling. No heart beats, no blood to keep it pumping and warm. Just a mass of shaped stone.

"What happened?" the princess asked but Holly did not answer, not even a slight reaction, a flinch, or a curl of her mouth to indicate displeasure. Nothing.

Clara searched Maxwell's eyes in question, but the man shook his head. Something had happened and she must know. She wanted to know.

Later, Maxwell mouthed, his eyes darting from one person in the room to the next. But waiting was a hard game to play. Clara knew the nagging voice at the back of her mind wouldn't let her be at ease. Just one tap with her power then she would know. It would be easy to cast her Moon Magic on Holly without her knowing, but could she do it? Could Clara see into her memories of the past hour without the ward's permission?

Yes. Yes, she'd do it. Just this time. Only this one time. She had the power to do so. She had the advantage.

Or she could use her power of authority and order her to speak. Clara winced at the idea. Forcing her to oblige was worse. She still preferred the use of her magic.

Flynn cleared his throat and clasped his hands at the small of his back. "I hate to interrupt, but I believe there's something important the Seer's granddaughter needs to tell Princess Anneliese."

"And me," said Emir, scowling.

Flynn smiled, clearly unbothered. "Right. Princess Anneliese and the Crown Prince."

Estel bristled. "You hurt Malini?"

Panic came in waves. Clara had to do something—say something—to ease the girl's doubts away. They had no interactions from the past except for the one or two occasions when they exchanged glances. But from what Clara could gather, Estel had something important to say. Couldn't Flynn tell it himself?

One small step forward and Clara wanted Estel to understand she meant no harm. "Malini healed me and it took her strength away. I apologize for I had doubted her kindness at first and letting her cast her healing powers on me despite knowing its consequences just to let her prove that her words were the truth."

"You don't look like you are in urgent need of healing."

"That is no way to talk to royalty." Emir stood to her side.

"That is no way to talk to royalty and in the presence of the crown." Holly stood to her side, stiff and guarded. A growl threatened to rise from her throat. "Do you wish to be punished?"

Estel's boldness melted like candle wax. Her fearlessness vanished under the hot stares of four pairs of eyes. She was stripped of the beast she summoned. In its place was a lamb at the mercy of her predators. But more than anything she worried about Holly. Her change of character sent alarms blaring in Clara's ears. She felt the need to confront her friend but it should only be between them, with no other eyes to see and no other ears to hear.

"Holly," Clara said in warning, clamping a hand on the ward's shoulder.

"F-Forgive me, Your Highness." Estel dropped to her knees, her forehead touching the floor. The pitch of her voice rose a notch high. "It wasn't my intention to antagonize you. I'm constantly worried about my grandmother. Malini is all I have."

Clara ran to her and gently tugged her arm to pull her up. "Estel, you are forgiven. Please, no more. I understand where you're coming from and I'm not holding it against you."

Moonlight's Deception (Eclipse of Hiestora, Book 1)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें