Chapter 4: Trials of Light and Darkness

Krystal didn't know how long she was away before opening her eyes at the top of the Krazoa Palace. After recovering from the effects of teleportation, she gazed at her surroundings. The environment felt strangely different than it had before when she had been trapped by Andross. Years ago, she had been enclosed inside a large crystal at the top of the spire, waiting and hoping desperately for someone to come to her rescue. At the time, the skies above the palace were cold and dark with storm clouds, while rain pelted down continuously. Something had changed since then; the skies were now bright, filled with light and beauty.

Ahead of Krystal, a tiled floor of dark marble surrounded a platform that was raised out of the center of the palace rooftop. Six stone pillars rose up from the platform, arching and connecting at the center almost ten feet high. Four torches surrounding the circular platform shined with an intense, yellow light. These must have represented the six Krazoa Spirits and the four Spellstones that held the planet together, Krystal observed. Under the connecting pillars, six glowing purple apparitions circled through the air, each one leaving a flowing trail of purple light behind it. They were the Krazoa Spirits, the spirits of peace that channeled the magic of the Spellstones to keep planet Sauria stable.

The vixen slowly paced forward, carefully making her way up the wooden ramp leading to the top of the round platform. The six spirits circled around the platform as Krystal noticed a gaping hole at its center. This opening almost sent Krystal falling to her death years ago when she had broken free of her crystal prison; Fox barely caught her in time. She almost plummeted down hundreds of feet to the base of the Krazoa Palace below.

"Welcome, Krystal, defender and peacekeeper of Dinosaur Planet. We have been expecting you," the eerie voice of the Krazoa spoke. The six spirits surrounded Krystal as she stood near the center of the platform, their circular motion ceasing.

"You were expecting me?" Krystal wondered how they knew that she was coming. She guessed that sooner or later, they would expect her to ask for her staff back. It was only a matter of time before it was needed again.

"Yes. A darkness has fallen over Dinosaur Planet, and you are the only one who can bring peace back to the land. You have come to retrieve your staff..."

The spirits must have been aware of the Redeye and their attempt to destroy the other dinosaur tribes. "The Redeye Queen must be stopped, and my staff is the only weapon that I know of that can defeat her. May I have it back please?" Krystal asked, hoping the Krazoa would be willing to accept her request; surely they would not keep the planet in danger by refusing?

"Of course you may have your weapon back," the Krazoa began and Krystal breathed a sigh of relief. But her sigh was cut short when the spirit continued, "but first you must prove you are worthy of wielding such a pure, magical power."

"And how might I do that?" Krystal became frustrated. Why did she have to prove she was worthy of her own weapon, especially when she had given it to them in the first place? She had a planet to save and didn't have the time to waste.

"There is a poison inside of your heart, Krystal. An inner conflict that must be resolved, for only the pure of heart can pass our tests."

The vixen was now utterly confused. Years ago, she had passed the Krazoa's test and collected the first Krazoa Spirit successfully without any problems. They viewed her heart as pure, and allowed her to pass the first test. What had changed since then? "What do you mean?" she asked.

"Soon, all will be revealed. You must face your inner conflict and overcome it. Then, and only then, will we return your staff." As the spirit spoke, Krystal sensed a new presence behind her. She turned around and froze as if she had seen a ghost. Before her, at the base of the ramp leading up to the platform, stood a dinosaur she thought she would never see again.