chapter [11]

If I had only thought sooner about how strange it was that Dorian's body temperature continuously got higher. There was only a certain extent that the reason could have been his excitement but when he suddenly collapsed above me, I knew that something was very wrong here.

"Dorian? Dorian?" I called his name twice, shaking him by his shoulders and pushing both of us up so I could properly see his face leaning on my upper body.
His skin was blushing red and pearls of sweat were running down the side of his face and neck. His breathing was fast and uncontrolled and his body burning up.

"Shit, what is wrong with you?" I shook him slightly again but there was no reaction, neither to my touch nor to my voice.

I started panicking.

A fever? No, fairies didn't get these kind of human deseases.

"It's my fault..." I mumbled when realizing how I must have triggered something related to his curse of a freezing body. If his temperature had changed so suddenly of course it must have great consequences.

Not knowing what to do, I put him on the bed, thinking of getting something to cool his body. But this house was basically a ruin. No running water, no electricity.

"What do I do?!" I grabbed my hair and pulled on it so the pain would help me concentrate. Meanwhile Dorian's hair had lost its pearly shine and turned grey like ash.

Again I went to his side and took his hand.

"Dorian, can you hear me? Please..."

"Your highness?!" Ilayda's sudden entrance made my head snap to the window where the royal guard floated in the air like an angel. When she saw the prince in that state, fright filled her eyes.

"Ilayda!" I jumped up when she entered the room and was at Dorian's side in the blink of an eye.

"I don't know what's going on! He suddenly started burning up after saying his curse would be cured. What do we do?!" I never felt so helpless that even listening to my own voice made my heart fill with guilt.

"His body is showing a strong defensive reaction to something. It's like his insides are fighting with one another." Ilayda concluded after analyzing the prince up and down. But she only stared at him and didn't move a muscle.

"Then what do we do against it?" I got to her side when she took a deep breath for a second and her hand formed a fist.

"Nothing. There is treatment for the symptoms but he can only receive that in the Fairy Queen's palace."

"Then why don't we go there?" I couldn't grasp the situation yet.

"It's his punishment. For not attending her majesties birthday he is restricted from entering or receiving any type of help from the palace for 3 months. It's a fairly short period of time but this situation shows how much of a punishment it actually is." Her expression turned cold when she turned around to me.

"Put your shirt on, we're gonna carry him to a temporary place where we can help him cool down." She demanded without even looking at me. That's when I realized that she probably knew what had been going on between me and the prince before he collapsed.

"What does that mean? Does he have to fight all of that pain by himself?" I did as told watching Ilayda cast some kind of magic on him so he suddenly hovered up in the air and floated right by her side. She gave me an unreadable side eye but somehow it gave me the feeling I was supposed to keep quiet. Did she also give me the fault for what happened? I wouldn't judge her for it...

"Yes... I don't know for how long he will have to endure this. He will only survive if he keeps on fighting." She didn't pay much attention to me and took the prince outside, her angelic wings spreading once again.