chapter [3]

Dorian's POV

"Park the car here, we'll head there by foot" I ordered Ilayda who proceeded to stop the car at the side of a street near the destinated area.
When we got off and started walking faster I could already smell something in the air. Just as we expected... that stench of foul flesh and smoke.

"It must be hundreds of them that the air feels so heavy here..." She concluded and pulled out her sword from the scabbard on her back.

"Indeed..." I coldly answered when I finally spotted the giant mass of demons that had gathered around something that I couldn't make out in the mess. It was like a giant ball of dark creatures, hissing and growling.
What were they doing here in this neighborhood?

"Your Highness, a phenomenon like this is very rare to happen so the cause is still unclear. From our position we can not see what's inside so we should proceed with caution." Ilayda advised when I crossed my arms and thought for a moment.
She was right that just barging in might cause trouble for us but this neighborhood was full of innocent human beings that might not be able to see the demons but they definitely felt their presence.

"If they spread into the streets, the casualties will be out of proportion. They already alarmed their police." I analyzed when hearing these annoying sirens of the human's guardians of law.

"In conclusion, we're going all in. Ilayda, I need you to break through that mass and distract them as much as possible. I'll break through to the center and eliminate whatever keeps them here." I commanded and took off the robe to pass it to her. The guard looked from left to right unsurely for a moment but nodded like the loyal dog she was. If these were beasts of the cursed forest this would have been quite the difficulty but with low level demons like this... we'd not need much time.

"Yes, Your Highness." She bowed and spread her bluish silvery wings that were shaped like a diamond before she shot up high in the sky.

"Good girl..." I chuckled before I followed right behind her.

From above, it became clearer that these demons were in fact swarming around a house. I also noticed the few corpses of the creatures on the streets that showed signs of burns.
A fire? No... human fire couldn't possibly hurt a creature like that.

So someone else was involved, a friend? Or another enemy among them? I would find out soon...

In that moment, the sky above my head lit up with the bright light of Ilayda's sword that she smashed down ruthlessly into the chaos of deadly beings. The light penetrated the bodies of all demons within her radius in an instant.
In fear, the others flew from one side to another, crashing with one another and falling to the ground so their formation broke slowly.

Again, Ilayda swung her sword, this time cutting a clean opening all throughout the swarm that finally let me have a look at what was underneath.

With every of her hits, another 10 demons went down, so I aimed forward and down to the small house before landing on the burned ground.
All windows were shattered, and the walls were in ruins. What surprised me was that one side of the house had completely been burned down. The front was painted in black soot as if a massive explosion had hit right before we arrived.

The fire had left stains all around the area that all pointed to one spot on the ground that was swarmed by a few demons.

So that was why they were here?

I breathed in and blowed a frosty wind that pushed them back and made their bodies freeze in an instant before they shattered like broken porcelain.

"A boy?" Underneath there was a person exposed. At first, I was sure he was dead. His clothes were ripped and his body covered in cuts and dark spots. But even though his face was cut up like that I had no trouble recognizing him. It was the same guy from this morning.
Slowly I approached to inspect him further when he suddenly choked up blood and roled over on his side.