chapter [7]

Vael's POV

I woke up from the fresh smell of roses that was in the air. Whatever I was lying on felt softer than silk and the pillow under my head was as fluffy as a cloud on a beautiful summers day.
If it wasn't for the slight pain in my wrist I would have thought that I actually ascended to heaven.

Rubbing my eyes carefully, I sat up in what seemed like a circle shaped bed and its sides were covered in bluely shimering roses.
I couldn't say whether this was a room or an indoor garden but when looking out the window, a lot of things suddenly made sense.

This room was somewhere high up in a giant castle made of diamond-like shimering stones. Every tower in my view was partly covered in flowers or other plants and giant green leafed maple trees were lurking out here and there from the court yards. From where I stood I could see directly to the large plaza in front of the inner gate where merchants, manufacturers and food vendors were selling their products to the public.
However, these people weren't human... not a single one of them.

The creatures down there came in all forms, sizes and colors. From the tiny pixies to dull faced trolls with their big noses I could spot everything.
The guards that were keeping an eye on the crowd were partly forest elfs and partly ice elfs with their blueish pale skin and diamond colored eyes.

It was a mesmerizing view... in a way it felt much like a fairy tale and not at all like encountering a creature of the hidden realm in the human world. These people were pieceful and their city here was beautiful.

If I wasn't wrong then this building was the Fairy Queen's palace and the room I was staying at had to be Dorian's. At first I wasn't sure but the portrait of the prince that hung above his bed spoke for itself.
He had to be much younger on that picture... in human age he seemed nothing older than 10 even though his expression was as cold as his icy magic.

"Ah-" Another sting of pain went through my wrist when I distanced myself from the window. Finally, I spotted the leaf shaped tattoo on the inside of my wrist. The edges were reddened and its pain pulsated from my wrist to my whole body for a moment.

"Was this the doing of the fairy promise?" I wondered when remebering how I must have lost consciousness that evening.
But for how long had I been staying here? Where was Dorian? And where the hell was Sam? Out of reflex I searched my pockets for my phone but it wasn't there.

Suddenly, I flinched and instinctively hid behind the bed immediately when I heard foot steps and a woman yelling. I couldn't identify her but judging the tone of her voice she sounded quite old.

"Your Highness! You were supposed to be back 2 weeks ago already and your mother was worried sick after not having received a single message! How dare you show your face here without properly greeting and apologizing to the Queen!" She threw a tantrum and I already suspected she would come inside expecting the prince to be here when I heard him answering in a unbothered and joking manner.

"General, it wasn't my intention to stay away for this long without prior notice but I had to investigate something of utter importance because-" he was cut off by the woman.

"Does that have anything to do with Lady Ilayda bringing a female human here two days ago?! This is against the rules, your Highness! If the Queen hears of this you will surely recieve punishment!" She threatend but tried to lower the volume of her voice when yelling at him.
To be allowed to speak to the fairy prince in that tone this lady must be of high status...

"I know you love me too much to snitch. So would you please step aside now? I got a kid to feed." He kindly asked.
Kid? Who the hell did he call a kid?! He might be a few hundred years old but from looks alone there wasn't much age difference between us.