chapter [10]

They had not allowed me to go near Sam's house after the demons were gone because Ilayda had already proceeded with the memory erasing spell. I hadn't considered it before but this spell wasn't something to be done in a few seconds but it needed some time to filter each and every memory of the hidden world from Sam's consciousness.

After Dorian and I had returned we hadn't exchanged even one word and it was obvious that his mood was down. As if I had just offended him greatly... but in front of Ilayda we had to pretend that everything was fine before we left to my house instead.
The way there was awkward so I hurried up to find the house looking almost the same as on the day when my mother was taken away. The burned walls, shattered windows and overall chaos inside were still very present in my memories.

The silence between us wasn't exactly comfortable and it was only when we entered that Dorian spoke up again.

"The gun. The one you pointed at me when we met here... where is it?" He asked when inspecting the claw marks of the walls inside the living room.

"Why do you need that gun? I thought we were searching for anything related to my mother's past?" I wondered but proceeded to step upstairs to my mother's room. I had left the gun up here because I considered it too dangerous to keep it with me while I stayed at Sam's. It was also useless without bullets.

"Here" I handed it to him and he took it carefully to bring it closer to his eyes.

"I already thought it was strange but this weapon is actually a rare magic gun. There are only a handful existing in the whole world..." he explained and let his thumb brush over a small insignia on the guns handle.

"So...? We don't know who gave it to her." I didn't understand yet how this was of any importance.

"That might be true... but the owner of such a weapon wouldn't be unknown to the people who crafted this." He turned around and opened the closet and the drawers to search for more clues.

"Who crafted it?" I went after him feeling a little uncomfortable with some stranger messing up my mother's stuff.

"The dwarfs of the dragon's mountain, a volcano in the north. It is said that the Dragon King himself was born in the depth of the volcano's heart and the dwarfs were his first subjects. If we were to meet them they could give us an answer to who gave the weapon to your mother." Dorian told me but didn't let himself be distracted from his search.

"The Dragon King? Isn't he dead?"

"That's what the majority says... as far as I know he perished long ago and at the same time the dwarfs stopped crafting and shut themselves off in their factory. The Fairy Queen doesn't allow any mention of him so there is only speculation." He sounded a little bitter when speaking of that and it led me to pick up on a subject that he had avoided until now.

"Speaking of that... you said you received punishment from the Fairy Queen because of me. What happened?"

Dorian stopped in his movements for a moment and adjusted his shirt.

"For someone who doesn't care about what I do you sure are nosy." He sighed and crossed his hands behind his back before walking out of the room and entering another one... my room.

"It happened because of me so of course I'm curious." I didn't have the nerve to argue about this with him right now.

"Actually I have a few more questions. I already told you that I don't mind being used by you but I have a right to know what you are trying to gain by keeping me by your side." I blocked his way and tried to face him but Dorian's gaze wandered around the room. There were a few drawings placed on the wall above my desk. Books about the hidden world filled the shelf next to my bed where some of my plushies were still at the same place where I had left them that day. He must think that this was weird because his eyes stayed on the tiny cat plushie for a few seconds.