Chapter Eight: Princess to Prisoner

Shelly shuddered awake from the liquid from the ceiling dripping on her face. She quickly wiped whatever it was off her cheek and looked around but couldn't see much; the atmosphere was cold, her body felt sore, and worst of all, chains were biting into her arms. She wanted to go back to sleep but her senses wouldn't let her do so. She dragged her beaten body with the massive metal ball connected to the chain till she felt frigid prison bars on her cheek. She opened her tired eyes to see the black stripes on a blacker background. The only reason she could see was the light from the small window too high to see from & another side of the door grooming at the far end of the hallway. Just then, Shelly realized the very thing she didn't enjoy finding out: She was stuck. In a cage. Again.

It wasn't so different from the life she used to have, but instead of being stuck in her room, learning proper etiquette on how to curry and sip her tea, she was kneeling, hungry, freezing, and in the dark with something questionable on her face, and nothing hopeful on her mind. She wanted to scream, shout or punch something, but too tired to even talk, she laid her body back down, swallowing up the lump in her throat, and slowly closed her eyes, half accepting her fate as a prisoner and half annihilating her tears before they came out. Rosa always said to save your tears for a momentous point in time, so she's saving them ever since the age of fourteen. But before she could think about if sniffling counted...

GRRRRR!

That's when she heard a growl. She didn't know if it was something else or just her starving stomach wanting to be attended to until she heard something swiftly moving behind her. That's when she knew, something was about to go down. However, Shelly knew something else: she was chained, was tired, and could barely stand, not to mention the fact that this time she couldn't run away from whatever was coming. As the noises came closer, Shelly moved as far as she could go until she couldn't drag the weight any longer.

"Listen up, you beast! I don't know what you are but I'm not afraid of you." she mocked, a little skittish. "Think you're so big and tough? I've taken down kittens' scarier than you."

She could barely see it herself but she saw a shadow finally come out to the slim light they had. However, the whispers in the dark were 100% true.

"Who's out there? Stop being a coward and fight!" Shelly yelled more annoyed than afraid. It was tiring enough lugging around the painful chains; she didn't need another problem. She didn't know why she demanded a fight though as if she could defend herself in her condition. However, with every other body part weak, her senses were incredibly intact. She taught herself to hear the hushed sound of a rabbit's breathing from three miles away. So she immediately ducked before the 'monster' that launched out of the darkness, crashing into her, which instead crashed into the solid bars of thick metal.

BANG!

As the 'thing' fell flat on its head, not even wincing from the pain, grinning in fact, Shelly then realized it wasn't a monster; it was a person! A girl about her age; pale, pasty skin, white snowy hair, one wild, unruly eye, the other one laid over by a bang. She just started at the pink-haired princess and smiled bigger, showing her bright sharp teeth.

"Nice dodge." the girl stated. Before Shelly could sum up what was happening, new voices arose.

"Oh, My Giddy Aunt! Colette, what are you doing to the poor girl?"

"I say she can keep it up. You know how I love a good show."

As the voices were heard, their appearances emerge in the dim glow. The first one had her golden hair up in a, strangely enough, perfect bun with a thin cotton candy-pink headband. Her dress was a simple baby blue with short sleeves, and some rips and tears but otherwise fine.