Chapter Seven: Midnight Catch

Shelly was in a bar, half an hour before midnight, eating with the little money she had. She considered what she should do next. She needed to find work and a new place to live. Shelly still got goosebumps when she heard the term "my own apartment." It was scary, thrilling, and exciting all at the same time. However, the sensation vanished when she became aware that she was being watched. She didn't want to take any chances, so she paid fast and left.

As she walked back to the forest, the only thing she could sense was the bright, glistening moon staring back at her and her footsteps on the stone ground. The feeling of being followed lingered in her gut, but she dismissed as a result of just her food digesting. The dark scenery creeped her out, however, so she went into an alley as a shortcut. That's when she heard footsteps she didn't recognize.

She accelerated her pace, but the footsteps persisted. When they were closing in on her, she switched from speed walking to running.

"Come back, little missy. I need to talk to you." A deep voice called out, which made Shelly run faster until she reached a dead end. She huddled behind a barrel and waited, attempting to keep her heart rate under control. When she finally stopped panting, she turned to see a man approaching. She was terrified, but she remembered her training with Rosa and decided to wait until the proper moment.

"Come on, honeycakes," The first voice spoke up. "We just want to show you something?"

"We need to find her. You know how the boss reacts when we come up empty-handed."

'Oh, gosh! There's two of them,' Shelly panicked. 'Okay, okay. I can do this; Just do what Rosa would do.'

"Can't we just find an easier mark? Do we know if "she" was even a girl? looked like a waste of time to me." The first man said, which ticked Shelly off.

"Do we even know if you're a boy?!" Shelly remarked angrily as she jumped up. She had always been judged for her dislike of flowery gowns and the color pink, and she wasn't about to be judged again. But as soon as she did it, she regretted it completely.

'Damn it.'

"Hello, darling. You're gonna have to come with us." The second man said creepily, both walking closer.

"I'll take the second option, please." Shelly responded cynically, assuming a combat position.

"There aren't any." His hand reached out to grab her.

"All right," she said as she grabbed his hand and flung him over her head, falling into the barrel. "I suppose I'll make one."

Shelly took advantage of the other guy's hesitation to fight by delivering a roundhouse kick to the jaw. The second guy stood up and attempted to sever the princess's throat with a knife, but she was too swift and tossed him at the other, both groaning in pain. Shelly was astounded by what she had done to her assailants. Then she was ecstatic and proud that she had been well-taught. But suddenly she returned to reality and grabbed the men by the collar.

"Who sent you? Was it my father?! ANSWER ME!!" Shelly questioned the men. They didn't talk but just laughed hysterically.

"Nighty-night." The first person stated that he was virtually gazing through her, or rather, something behind her. She turned around fast, but it was too late. She yelled in agony and collapsed. Her muscles were all throbbing and screaming in pain. She fought the pain to keep her eyes open and noticed a third one lurking in the shadows, taser in hand.

"This chick has a lot of heat. It appeals to me." He was virtually drooling as he looked around at his coworkers. "You two are pitiful."

"With that stunning stick of yours, you're one to talk." The second grumbled, both of them wiping themselves off. "Whatever, we just need to get her out of here."

They took the poor girl's hands and hauled her up. Everything hurt as they took her away, and she couldn't stop them. What were they going to do with her? What was going to become of her? But all she could do was listen to the bell strike at midnight and stare at the moon, which teased her until everything became dark.

Finally! School's been pretty hard but I finally wrote something! I hope you like it! Later!! 😘🥰😍